HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Backpack List....OK??
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
millagerobert
Typical Buck

Default RE: Backpack List....OK??

ORIGINAL: jjwillie

Hi guys (and gals)....I'm starting to prepare my list for this year's backpack rifle hunt in Idaho. I'll post the list and am going to ask for suggestions on other addition/deletions to the list. We will be packing 2-3 miles from the trailhead into a roadless area and will cover 2200 vertical feet in the first mile and a half, so I'm trying to keep the weight as low as possible.

Meals-
Instant Coffee, Granola, Instant Oatmeal
Dehydrated dinners, etc.

Clothing-
3 pr hiking socks, 2 pairs liners
1 pr boots
1 pr camp pants
2 long sleeve shirts
1 mid weight jacket
under armour
gloves

Gear-
Tent
tarp
backpack stove
Ax
Rifle/Ammo
First Aid kit
Knife/whetstone
Sleeping Bag/pad
Binocs
Rangefinder
Titanium pot
Toiletries
200 feet string/game bags
camera
GPS/topos
flashlight/headlamp
Lantern (has anyone found a good lightweight battery powered one?)
water bottle
fuel for stove
water purifier

I figured everything to be about 65 pounds, including pack weight. Any suggestions? Thanks
For a meal I have started taking the pouches of dehydrated loaded baked potatoes and a packet of instant turkey gravy, if you take a can of chicken meat along to put on the gravy it makes a great meal, 2 of the potato packs and two gravy and one can of chicken feeds 4. A bottle of tabasco and some johnny's season salt makes the dehydrated meals taste better, and you can use the johnny's on grouse if you get some.
I would leave the ax and get a lightweight gerber hatchet. A pair of sandals or flip flops are nice for camp to get out of the boots. I don't take a tent, just two light weight 8x10 tarps and parachute cord to make a shelter if it rains or snows, bugs are usually gone by fall, and tarps are lighter to pack. I wouldn't take a lantern either, just a headlamp and a small hand held light for backup. Some fire starter and a couple candles can be a good addition.
Put some extra excedrine pain pills in your first aid kit, along with some cough drops, and a couple packs of theraflu, after getting sick in the back country a couple times it is worth having with you.
If you are going with other people, don't double up on everything, share the load. You only need one stove with fuel, water filter, cooking pot, gps, rangefinder etc.... unless you will be seperated allot. Bring the extra gear but leave in truck, that way if something fails you can come out to get a replacement.