Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Big Game spotter..what size? >

Big Game spotter..what size?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game spotter..what size?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Game spotter..what size?

Hi yal,
I don't know if this should go in optics or Big game section.I feel its a big game question.
I just drew a either-sex elk tag here in MT for a very good area where there is a good chance at a 350 bull with the posibility of a 370+.
My question is I'm looking for a new spotter and was wondering what sixe I should go with?I carry 10x42 mm Nikons for bno's and they cover alot of use.I was looking for something I could cover 6-8 miles away and judge horns size.
15-45x50mm big enough or should I go 20-60x60mm or bigger.
What would your call be?
Thanks
BBJ
Oh Hillbilly1 you have e-mail.[8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 PM

Default RE: Big Game spotter..what size?

More info would help. Are you going to be several miles into the backcountry? Will you have access to pack horses or lots of hunting buddies to help share the weight? If so, I would go for a scope with an ~80mm objective over the 50-60 range.

I have Nikon 8x42s. They do the job for anything less than half a mile but more than that I like to have my spotter. Downside is I often hunt alone or withonly one buddy so its tough to pack my Nikon 82mm. I have the 30x wide angle ep. I love the wide angle ep but I wish I could trade someone for the 75x wide angle lens. Some would say get the 25-75x zoom instead of a fixed but you're going to find that in the zooms you loose a lot of brightness and the field of view is significantly dimished towards the higher magnifications. If you're going birdwatching, field of view isn't that critical. When you're trying to spot big game, FOV is critical for a scope.

So my recommendation, weight permitting, is a scope around $1,000 with a ~70-80mm objective lens and a 60-75x eyepiece. Best luck and God bless.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw that elknut is now a distributor for vortex spotting scopes. He's probably a good resource (although I hear he doesn't know anything about Elk)
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

J,
Thanks for the info.MOST of the time it's going to be me not deep back country but 4-6 miles off the betten path,sometimes out of the pick-up(not road hunting just looking).This is a area that you can see open ridges,timber flats,high points and travle routes.Snow is the biggest factor if I can get 6-7 inches of snow I'm golden cause I do know most of the travle routes in and out.but part of the area is ajoining private that I can't hunt.The biggest of bulls will travel onto the area for food and outfitter pressure,pluss the ones that come from way deep in the woods due to snow.I'm looking for a spooter that I can judge a bull from 6-8 miles away and decide if I go or hold out.
Thanks
BBJ
Old 07-24-2008, 06:55 PM

6-8 miles is a really, really long ways away. I'm sure I've looked at objects that distant with my scope but never tried to size up game. I strongly suggest at least 60-75x.

Pentax seems to have a vast array of available EPs. They may have some 100X's available. Check out the PF-II 65mm and 80mm.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 PM

Or... You could just help me procure a tag, and I could drive across Idaho and join you for the hunt. I'd be happy to chip in use of my Nikon scope in exchange for getting to join a hunting party that has already scouted an area

Okay just my wishful thinking... Now I have to face stupid reality again [:@]
Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Good for you BBJ .Somethink tells me you might be hunting the same woods I like.I'll be there from sept.18 till around the 8th of oct. I got to go check my pending box.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigger tends to be heavier, something to consider...

I have a 20-60x66mm, but rarely can I use 60x, my opinion with most scopes you either need huge glass up front to use 60x or very clear skies. I believe my glass is 66mm.

Also the longer the range, the more junk there is in the air that you have to view through. I typically find about 45x being the most/best mag I can use.

So as you stated 6-8miles to judge horn size, 45x would be enough but 50mm glass I don't think will be. I'd say in that case get at least 66mm glass if not 80mm. Also the larger the glass the higher the mag you could use.

So you may want to consider something in the 20-60x80mm range.
I still have an old junker spotter, cranked at 45x my 14x leupold could see clearer than that baby could at just about any mag, let alone 45x. So I think quality is the name of the game. Also at higher mags the image can go dark if not using quality or large enough optics.

I think most spotters tend to either come with 66mm or 80mm glass, those are the typical 2 options. For a backpack 45x with 66mm glass would be plenty good.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks thats what I' looking for info like that.
6-8 miles might be a stretch but definatly 4.It's main use would be to see if a bullis a shooter or a pass up,and also aide in finding game on far ridge tops and timdered flats.

Would $600 get something decent or do I need a $2500 Lica(wich won't happen)
BBJ
Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I spent in the $600-700 range for a Cabelas big sky HD 20-60x66mm, I love it, super clear etc....for the money hard to beat without jumping into that next bracket of thw swaro's etc....

read somewhere else on here guys talking about the higher end nikons.....used on ebay etc....

For the money though the one I bought I felt was the most bang for the buck. They also make a 27-80x or something like that, with a 80mm lens or so, don't think you need that much magn. but the larger lens would be something to consider.

Quick Reply: Big Game spotter..what size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.