Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose tag

Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Default moose tag

My son, and I have a moose tag for Vermont this fall, and I will be using my bow.
I am thinking about switching to a 125 gr Muzzy head from a 100 grain head that I currently use for deer. I am shooting a Switchback set at 66lbs that I intend to tweek up a bit if I still have good results.
Any thoughts or advice.
Thanks
sargie
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: moose tag

I wouldn't switch to a heavier broadhead.

I shoot 100gr muzzys, did shoot a heavier arrow for my last elk trip, they just felt better the heavier arrow.

I think on large came, elk size plus, I'd consider using a cut on contact broadhead over a chisel point, possibly even a 2 blade design, or 4 blade, ie 2 main blades that cut on contact with 2 bleeders.

2 blade cut on contact will give you the most penetration, i don't beleive any broadhead is going to be busting through elk/moose shoulder bones, so if anything I think consider switching for more penetration.

I just stayed with my 100gr 3 blade muzzys, but in the future I think I'm going to use 100gr NAP razorbaks for the big stuff, and probably rage 2 blade for everything else.

So yea I don't really see a benefit in going from 100gr muzzy to a 125gr muzzy, if wanting more weight I'd probably shoot a heavier shaft, and/or shooting a cut on contact broadhead. I'm a 100gr broadhead fan though, I don't see an advantage to 125grs.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Hey sargi:
Just a heads up for you. If you change your broadhead weight you change your spine and thus your tune on your bow -- which every bowman knows your tune is very sensitive and absolutely critical. Besides a heavier broadhead is not necessarily a stronger one. Stick with your set-up you are comfy with and place your shot carefully. Be sure your blades are absolutely sharp. You can never have your blades sharp enough. Dull blades loose trophies.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think your setup is fine...
I wouldn't change a thing..

Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 PM

Go with a cut on contact head in the same weight you're already shooting. I know there are muzzy fans out there but most of them are hunting thin skinned light boned white tail.. you're huntin' swamp donkey! Maybe the muzzy phantom.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the advice.
My 17 year old son will more then likley be the one to do the actually shooting with a 30-06. But if the right shot presented itself...
We have already enjoyed quite a few hours of scouting, and he found a nice location on his own yesterday while doing a some fishing in the mountains near home.
Thanks again