Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Archery Elk Units >

Colorado Archery Elk Units

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Archery Elk Units

Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Archery Elk Units

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

I hope your doing alot of homework, and fast! I planned my 1st Colorado archery hunt for 3yrs. I decided at one point being my first time seemed wiser for me to just go guided, and have everything provided for me. So all I had to do was showup, and hunt. That was enough preparation in itself. I can't even imagine going out blind 1st time w/o least someone whose been there. Not trying to stir you away, but its a whole new world of hunting in Colorado mountains for Elk. Its nothing like going into the woods after whitetail. You'll need camping gear, means to hike back in, and spike camp if needed. Horses & mules are the best means of travel. Especially if you get into higher elevations. If you've never experienced high elevation hunting your in for a treat. I was running several miles a wk to get into shape. I got to Colorado at 10,000ft, and 20yds up a hill I was winded, and had to stop. I'm a small person too. Its like theres no air at first. I just want you to realize what your getting into!
Haha, I'm well aware of what it takes. I grew up in the mountains in Wyoming hunting all kinds of stuff. We did a DIY hunt last year in Wyoming and were 3 for 3. I don't mean to sound cocky, but I feel really good about my chances if I can get into an area where the elk are.
ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

Lots of good areas in Colorado, alot depends on how far back in your group can get. Though, I have one friend who has been successful hunting close to high traveled areas.

Being that Colorado is OTC, you will have some company. Next year, take a look at applying in New Mexico. For $8 per application and limited licenses, it would be far better for the DIY'r...and the quality would be slightly better.
We did look at applying in NM after we didn't draw in Wyoming. Although as unfamiliar as we are with most CO areas, it was much more so with NM.