Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 colorado units 75\751 >

colorado units 75\751

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

colorado units 75\751

Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 AM

Default colorado units 75\751

i'm looking for some info on these units for ml mule deer and bull elk. if anyone has any info it would be greatly appretiated. my soon to be drew a ml buck for these units and i drew a state ml bull tag for our honey moon get away!! the only thing that could have been better was for her to get drawn for a unit that i have been to. again any help for these units would help unit 75 and 751. thanks [align=right][/align]

Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Spike

Default RE: colorado units 75\751

Since you'll be on your honeymoon, I'm not sure how much hunting you'll really get in, but I can give you a little general info about the areas. Missionary ridge area northeast of Durango is primary access to USFS land. There are other roads of course, but Missionary provides access to the most country. It get's a fair amount of hunting pressure, but it's not a bad spot. There's always a big push opening weekend, butpressure typically drops off pretty fast. Fire burned a large portion of Missionary Ridge in 2002, game likes it now with all the new re-growth, just don't camp out nearany burned trees, they arecoming down in regular fashion. Deer population seems to be rebounding a little lately, elk population is good (typicalCO population of lots of elk, with ahandfullofgood bulls)CDOW wantsthe elk thinned out of these units. Look for some areas of dark timber, steeper slopes keep the riff raff out, and look for sign, and if you find fresh sign, justhang in those areas. You'd be surprised how many people see fresh sign but don't see elk (or deer)immediately and move on. Good luck and congratulations!