Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DIY Elk Hunt

Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default DIY Elk Hunt

Hi all-

Probably gonna do a DIY backpack hunt for elk this fall in Idaho. We went a few years ago on the same stlye of hunt in Unit 35 with limited success.

I am curious if there have been any major fires in the Sawtooths in the last few years.

Also, does anyone have any other units to reccommend? I'm not asking for specific spots, just different units to research/compare.

Thanks...BTW, I'll probably be going for the first rifle season Oct 15th.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DIY Elk Hunt

Allot of the state burned last summer. I would check with the local forest service office down there to find out about a particular area. There are still Elk to be found, though they can be scattered in our different units depending on hunting pressure and wolves. I don't know how the winter effected the herd down that way, some here in North Central Idaho faired better than others. Some units have better access than others, some more public ground, best bet is to check out the map to find an area that looks like it would fit your hunting style, then check for the regs for that unit. Try and find pockets away from roads and major trails, and with less wolf sign and you should get into the elk.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

OK, sounds good. A few years back, we saw a bunch of elk in the course of a week. We backpacked, tented and hunted on foot. If it didn't burn there, I'd go back. Just need to know if I have to look for a new area.

Are there any online tools to map past fire activity?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

This is the site I use to track fires during the summer, they may have a fire history section.
http://www.nifc.gov/fire_info/nfn.htm

There should be a website for whichever National forest you are hunting in. If you call the office they are usually very helpful, and some of there websites have last years fire maps on them. Sometimes you can use the past fires to your advantage since it will create habitat, and or concentrate game in non burned drainages.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just keep hearing about wolves in Idaho, especially in the last 3 years, anyone know about that? could be a different hunt from when you were there last....I hope some wolve hunting will bring things back.

I know the eastman boys love fresh burns for hunting....elk included. I was hunting a burn last fall, they were in there on the fresh grass, so unless its burning.....could be some good hunting, ie a season or so ago burn...

Old 06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the burns. Dont shy away from an area if it burned last year. If it did. Check into if it totally burned the area or if it jumped around leaving some cover here and there along the fire area's. If it was a hot fire burning things to a crisp, it still should green up this summer if the area gets moisture. Elk like burns and the feed within a burn area. Just need to have some kindcover around for them to bed up in.I actuallyprefer to hunt burn areas over old growth timber.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could type all day on this topic. If you are looking for more in depth info, I just put up a new page on my website giving tips for a DIY hunt...
Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I love the DIY style hunt. The first year I went I made a huge mistake.....we set up basecamp by the stream. That meant 2000+ vertical feet of climbing every morning to get to the elk. If we would have camped closer to the top of the ridge, (I) would have killed a nice bull.

I'm curious (for the backpackers) where do you set up camp? On the ridge or in the valley? We don't make a fire, just a backpack stove to boil water for our backpack meals.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

elkcrazy8; Do you do any kind of backpack DIY hunts for species other than elk? If so does your equipment change dramatically/slightly? If so then why?
I do a lot of backpack hunts for deer, and bear, but nothing higher than 5,500ft. I am going on a backpacking DIY elk hunt for the first time in CO, and I am trying to learn everything I can from anybody that has done it. Thanks for the help.

jjwillie; Sorry about jacking your thread. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done the bivy for many species. The only gear that will change is my shelter. My bivy pack list is on the website too. One of our field editors , Dave, also has a pack list. For 1 week I should not be over 40 lbs, if so, not by much.

As far as camping in the bottom or on a ridge, that depends on where the animals are hanging. For a true bivy hunt, you should not have to return to your camp every day. I hunt with my packon and set up camp right where I end the day and pick up from there in the morning. If I end the day in the hot spot, I will of course back out a little.

I started to gain interest in bivy hunting when I spent 18 days straight in the back country.I would wake up at 3:00 in the a.m. and would not be into the animals until 10:-11:00 in the a.m. I would start hunting back to camp as the evening passed. I was spending a large amount of time walking about. By changing tactics, I can start listening and figuring things out as I am cooking breakfast.

Last year I had a bull walk by while I was putting my contacts in. He was on the small side, but it was cool to watch a plan come together. I feel better and can hunt harder now that I am not spending my whole day hiking.

I have more material for the site, I am waiting on info for back country meat care, and also tips to help finance your adventure...... When it all comes together, it should help anyone who is planning a back country adventure....

Quick Reply: DIY Elk Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.