HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY Elk Hunt
Thread: DIY Elk Hunt
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Elk Hunt

I have done the bivy for many species. The only gear that will change is my shelter. My bivy pack list is on the website too. One of our field editors , Dave, also has a pack list. For 1 week I should not be over 40 lbs, if so, not by much.

As far as camping in the bottom or on a ridge, that depends on where the animals are hanging. For a true bivy hunt, you should not have to return to your camp every day. I hunt with my packon and set up camp right where I end the day and pick up from there in the morning. If I end the day in the hot spot, I will of course back out a little.

I started to gain interest in bivy hunting when I spent 18 days straight in the back country.I would wake up at 3:00 in the a.m. and would not be into the animals until 10:-11:00 in the a.m. I would start hunting back to camp as the evening passed. I was spending a large amount of time walking about. By changing tactics, I can start listening and figuring things out as I am cooking breakfast.

Last year I had a bull walk by while I was putting my contacts in. He was on the small side, but it was cool to watch a plan come together. I feel better and can hunt harder now that I am not spending my whole day hiking.

I have more material for the site, I am waiting on info for back country meat care, and also tips to help finance your adventure...... When it all comes together, it should help anyone who is planning a back country adventure....