Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

"Huntin' Fool" Magazine

Old 06-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Spike

Default "Huntin' Fool" Magazine

Anybody subscribe to this? Is it worth it?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Huntin' Fool" Magazine

Yes, I have subscribed off & on. It is the one and only publication you really need if you are wanting a guide on places to apply. Well worth the money, especially if you are just getting started. However, I never apply for the top 3 hunts they recommend in any state because they have a big subscribership and those units get way too many applications. You shouldhow quick the odds can change.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree it is a great magazine for the Big Game hunter, for out west. Lots of good info & guidance on where to draw for tags.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's good. Costs alot $100/year, but it's not just a magazine, kinda like advice/trade journal. In years past I crunched numbers, from B&C books etc....called fish and game, and to do that to each state......was funny when many of my top choices were confirmed by the Fool. But then was way off on other areas.....I think they cover most of the west pretty well, not everything greatly, I also do eastmans' which has been getting better with the Member research section....

if you don't want to pay the big bucks for the Fool, checkout eastmans....they do a pretty good job and even better job in some specific cases I've found.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM

I'm a member and think it's a "no brainer" if you hunt the west or wanting too. $100 a year is nothing compared to some of the costs related to hunting (e.g. GAS right now!). They are so on the ball regarding changes to state regs, fees, prices and how to get going in states... you can't go wrong. Plus, they have hunting consultants to help you along the way. I had a tag last year and they sent me all the names of all the members who drew the year before! The magazine is great and the service is too. Speaking of the "huntin fool's" themselves, you guys see the buck Jason Carter killed last year in AZ?!?! Pic on their giveaway page: http://www.huntinfool.com/GiveAway/08SMD-raffles.asp WOW!

F4F
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Best magazine out there for the money. It is $100 a year, and I have been getting it now for 3 years. It is loaded with information whether you like elk hunting, mule deer, Bighorn Sheep or Whitetails. Now they do cover the west and mid west states (Kansas) and also work with outfitters to our northern Canadian neighbors.

Best part is this, if you are a DIY'er and draw a tag in a Unit. You can call them and they will give you information on where to start, who to contact and where to start. No additional cost. The stories, are mostly normal Joes hunting based on the information they got from Huntin' Fool
Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

Best magazine out there for the money. It is $100 a year, and I have been getting it now for 3 years. It is loaded with information whether you like elk hunting, mule deer, Bighorn Sheep or Whitetails. Now they do cover the west and mid west states (Kansas) and also work with outfitters to our northern Canadian neighbors.

Best part is this, if you are a DIY'er and draw a tag in a Unit. You can call them and they will give you information on where to start, who to contact and where to start. No additional cost. The stories, are mostly normal Joes hunting based on the information they got from Huntin' Fool

I definitely agree. I tell everyone I know how helpful it is and I like it for the same reasons you do. If someone can't afford 100 bucks (one tank of gas for my truck) for a magazine as info packed about hunting the west as Huntin Fool then the actual trip will be WAY out of their price range.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Spike

hazmat,
I sent you an email or pm
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Couldn't agree more..$100 is a bargain. I look at it this way, it could also be used to determine what units you WOULDN'T want to hunt. Thus, could save you TONS OF $$$$...

ORIGINAL: bubbabucksmasher

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

I definitely agree. I tell everyone I know how helpful it is and I like it for the same reasons you do. If someone can't afford 100 bucks (one tank of gas for my truck) for a magazine as info packed about hunting the west as Huntin Fool then the actual trip will be WAY out of their price range.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM

Huntin Fool and Eastmans are both good, but I found this online "ezine" that has a lot of good info, and for now it's free! http://muledeerfanatic.com