Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WYoming BISON!!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default WYoming BISON!!

So I just found out my ranking is 170 on the wy bison list, then I checked my father's.....he's #7!!!

Not sure how many tags they issue, but 7 sounds pretty damn good to me, I'm pretty excited, I'm sure he'll start worrying once I clue him in, haha.

So any WY guys or whoever with any knowledge of the WY bison hunts....please let me know, can it bea DIY hunt? I know they issue tags outside of yellowstone that area...etc...I believe. Just wondering if its a tough hunt, or not. Also if you know about how many tags they tend to issue? I'm guessing maybe not all 7 take the tag....so maybe that puts him at even better odds.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WYoming BISON!!

Just checked mine -- ranked 3669. I would guess I won't be hunting wyoming bison this year.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

We saw a GIANT bull last summer up in the foothills ofthe Shirley's. I hope he draws that would be fun!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:34 PM

both i and my room mate harvested cows from the jackson herd last fall. a bull hunt is a lot easer than a cow hunt in that the big old bulls are off on there up on national forest land. the cows stay on the park and the refuge. but wonder onto forest land and it becomes a waiting game they will literly stand 5 ft from the boundry. to be legal they need all four feet on your side. if you have a cow tag the refuge is your best bet. if you have a bull shadow moutain and ditch creek will be an easy hunt. as far as i know the quota is going to be around 300 or more this year. last year was a tough year the herds would not come off the park and they did not meet the numbers they where looking for. i would not hire an outfitter there realy is no reason exept for removal from the feild. there is a guy that runs a you tag it we dragit buisness. we quorterd mine in the feild leaving the ribcage,backstraps,tenderloin and neck all in one peice.it was a lot of work to get out of the feild but great to hang and age . we did all the butchering our selfs lots of burger with the hand grinder. i used a marlin 1895 cowboy with open sites in 45-70 using the hornady leverevolution ammo worked great first shot threw the lungs broke the oposite shooulder and loged under the skin purfect expansion and great weight retention. she dint evan flinch second shot i put on the spine and she droped like a ton of bricks evan with the lung shot a 3rd to the neck was required. they are very tuff animals i would ether go for a lung shot whith large caliber or a flat shooting rifle behind the ear to the first vertibre its about a 4 inch circle and have seen buffalo drop to this shot. the hunt is what you make of it. i spent the morning folowing the herd with my dad and watched them from 100 yrds out for over aan hour picking out my cow. it was an awsome experiance after selecting the one i wanted and makeing the shot the whole herd surounded her. and we just had to wait after a wile a game and fish officer stoped. he then went and gave a group of hunters a ride into where we where the walked up to the herd that was gatherd around mine shot a cow at 25 yards. the officer then used fireworks to scare the herd away. just as we got done getting her in my truck the whole herd came back and went nuts around the gut pile. if you need any other info let me know it is a fun hunt and great meat.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM

a couple photos http://picasaweb.google.com/fishnski18/Bison02
Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Nice bull there fishnski. Conglads on the numbers--salukipv. Looks like a bison hunt is in your future.

Guess I need to put in. CB
Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Talked to the guy at fish n game, said he thought the units /animals may be on wilderness land.....if so I'd need an outfitter... my taxidermist's brother lives in Jackson I believe, he could get a license possibly to avoid needing to hire an outfitter. Haven't talked to any just yet. I did see that Tag N Drag service, which sounds nice....I don't have a problem cutting him up....but I won't have horses etc....not sure what the rule on atv's is, though as is in most places they don't like em, and don't think I'm backpacking a bison out....but ya getting a bison head and cape out sounds heavy. Wonder what a shoulder mount would cost + shipping, may have to haul that back here and have a local taxidermist handle it.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM

shadow mountain where all the big bulls hang out no where near the wilderness. you can drive right up to them. lots of atv trails check out ditch creek and spread creek. the ladies that work the desk at the jackson office are great evryone wants these things gone and are more than happy to help. hope you plan on haveing a lot of burger if you are going for a large bull mounts arnt that bad if you cape them out yourself you save. my dad did mine for me. lots of camping on shadow right where the bulls hang out. i wouldnt bother with the refuge hunt and come as late as you can stand to wait .there hair will be better and dont have to wory about the meat spoiling. know a guy that got one opening day it was probably 90 degrees better to wait till late september or october if you can. my roommate shot his in november and had a lot better hair than the one i got early october
Old 05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea when the season is etc....I know my dads rank is 7th and thats very likely to get a tag, its for unit 1....for a bull.

I assumed it would be a late hunt.....dec/jan, I agree though later sounds better, better fur, cooler temps for meat etc..., I certainly hope it goes to the colder weather dates...I def dont want one in 90degree temps.....I assumed it would be after sept hunt.....I couldn't find the Jackson Office phone number, though I'm sure when I call HQ they'll pass it along.

I have to agree, Wy fish n game is super helpful, I only talked to the guy for a bit, but he was excited for me, like we've been friends for a while say congrats and good luck, its amazing to talk to "customer service" with an american who's enthusiastic to help. I've talked to quite a few fish n game, andusually theyre nice/polite but WY seems to really enjoy their jobs when I call etc...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM

just read your post on broadheads. as of last year archery and muzzleloaders where not legal means of harvesting bison if you are area 1 disregard what i have said as we are area 2 dont know a lot about the abasarkas. good luck
they lost a lot of bison up north this winter down hear they eat all the elk feed in the winter

Quick Reply: WYoming BISON!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.