Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

wyo sheep tag

Old 05-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default wyo sheep tag

Hey folks, my 13 year old son drew a Wyoming sheep tag. I am not sure why I can't draw one. My daughter drew one here first try at age 12 three years ago. It's just not fair. I have at least 40 sheep applications and have never drawn a tag. I had to go after one in the Montana unlimited areas. Like I said it'[s just not fair. But on the bright side... I still get to go sheep hunting again. Ha there truly is a silver lining. I am really looking forward to it.
Rumor has it there are at least 3 booners there. Hopefully there will be a show on TV about it. I will for sure film it and it should be good enough to hit the air waves. Yahoo, I get to go after sheep again.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wyo sheep tag

Wow! Congrats to your son on a incredible tag. Keep us posted on how he does.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow!

Why can't you draw one....? I'll tell you why, one the odds are stacked way against you/adults/ whether its res or non res. Many adults have been gaining pts since they first could....and now who knows what that # is but with 75% of the tags going to the guys with the most pts......less you have the most pts, good luck drawing that tag.....and most of them don't draw that tag so they continue to gain a pt and have the max......I've heard some say don't begin applying for WY sheep unless you already have quite a few pts....

awesome for him, though I assume you were probably just thinking of building him pts while he's young and its cheap, and maybe down the road he'd draw one.....awesome for him.

This is something I've brought up vefore though is unfair odds to kids.....a bighorn sheep tag isn't a deer tag.....or an elk, these suckers are very hard to draw, some men, *most will never draw a tag, I've heard about countless men waiting 30+ years and either never drawing or just that, taking 30+ years to draw.

Maybe your son just got lucky....I'm curious how many tags they designate to kids.....? if it's 1 or a bunch....

haha, I think you are more excited then him......which is another pt, these kids really don't have a reference or reason to be as excited as you are.....personally I think a man who has been applying for 30years deserves a tag ahead of any kid, particularly a sheep tag. I really think youth tags should be for does, cows, ewes....

but hey rules are rules, so congrats and take full advantage of that one! btw you can't shoot it for him, so get him just as ready as you'll be! haha.

I just saw bill jordan of realtree go after a WY sheep, looked like a long tough hunt, think they went 5+ days before seeing a ram, and aside from the frist morning hadn't seen a sheep. But he got a 11.5yr old sheep! and it was quite nice.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the feeling I apply for a ton of sheep tags every year and have never drawn....

Cool that your son drew a tag! Good luck!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 PM

Lucky kid! What area did he draw?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

He drew area 1.
Hey salu -- there are not any preferences given to youths on the moose sheep and goat tags.
I know the area and when my daughter had her sheep tag there 4 years ago we were into sheep almost every day. I do believe I have a bit of a knack for sheep. I can find them most every time I look.
I really love sheep hunting and I will tell you... the meat is absolutely fantastic. In my opinion it is the best meat I have ever eaten. He is a very good shot and took a booner lope last year on his first hunt.
I will try to post a story and pictures.