Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Alaska Experiment

Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Default RE: The Alaska Experiment

ORIGINAL: shed33

ORIGINAL: Speedo

ORIGINAL: shed33

Buffalo in AK?
Yes

Really? learn something new everyday.. where at Speedo? Free ranging and wild?
Delta, they don't seem to care about fences and wreaked havoc with some of the farms in the Delta barley project. There is also a herd in Farewell. They are free ranging and wild and they are hunted by permit.

Gus
Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

I saw the first episode a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty stupid. If memory serves me all but one of the groups were sent to a cabin and the other was sent to a large wall tent. That's a vacation in my book. Hardly a real survival situation unless you're a real 'tard when it comes to outdoor skills. I didn't see where they shot a bison, but if they shot one of the Chitina bison without a permit I hope they get hung out to dry. That's a load of crap, because those permits are incredibly hard to draw. They don't need to be culling those animals for the sake of "reality" TV. Frankly I think the whole law where you can legally take game in a "survival" situation regardless of the season is a steaming load of horse $%^&. There's too many morons out there tromping out into the woods unprepared that inevitably end up having to take game because they didn't know what Alaska would throw at them. In my opinion, if you take game illegally, regardless of whether it was a survival situation you should still be subject to all the fines and retribution the same as anyone else. I know if I thought I was going to die I wouldn't be too concerned about a couple thousand in fines and maybe loss of hunting priveleges for a few years. Better than pushing up daisies. I think that would force people to think a little more before bailing into the woods thinking that they were going to be like Bear Gryllis or Les Straud. That's just what Alaska needs is more of the Chris McCandless types.

AK Jeff
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 AM

Didn't see the episode. But regarding the bison the TV peopleprobably just bought one of the farmed bison and staged the kill. There are a couple of farms in Alaska that raise bison for market and for a fee you can go shoot one. Several friends have done it and it is not a bad way to get meat and no it is not a hunt. Delta has one such farm just off of clearwater road. These are not of the free ranging herd that roams the area. I doubt very much that the bison used in the show was from one of the free ranging herds. As said there are several huntable herds including the Delta, Chitna, Copper & Farewell herds and those tags are very hard to draw. The chitna herd usually has only 2 tags if any are offered at all and the access, logistics, and even finding that herd make itextremely difficult. I will be putting in for the Delta, Copper & Chitna tags again. with the copper as my preference, chitna next and lastly Delta.

I agree with AK Jeff - going to a cabin or a wall tent is more of a vacation then a survival situation. Good grief you immediately have shelter. And yeah these programs are going to groom a whole new crop of McCandless wantabees. We get enough of them every year here as it is.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds interesting I am gona have to look for the re run.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see where they shot a bison, but if they shot one of the Chitina bison without a permit I hope they get hung out to dry.
Should be clarified that they shot "at" a bison with the 22lr. Then the same group "happened" upon a kill that they "found" because of all the bird activity on the carcass lead them to it.

If he even hit the bison, I'd be very surprised. Next to zero gun experience and he took the shot off hand!

The producers obviously hand picked people with next to zero outdoor experience. What fun would a show be showing a bunch ofpeople that lived to be out-of-doorson a 3 month long vacation.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Fork Horn

According to the Alaska hunting regulations it is illegal to "take" big game animals with a .22 rimfire (page 16). The definition of "take" (page 23) includes "attempting to take, pursue, hunt, fish, trap, or in any manner capture or kill fish or game." Just attempting to shoot a bison with a .22LR in Alaska is therefore illegal. I still haven't seen that episode, but I did see the goat hunt episode today. I'm glad that guy got to go on his first hunting trip, but that was really pretty pathetic. I love how these people are roughing it in their "crude shelters" i.e. cabins, complete with pressure cookers for canning salmon. I'm interested to see just how well they like eating those spawned out salmon they're pulling out of those streams. They look downright nasty. Those two snotty sisters need to get their clocks cleaned. If I ever talked to my ol' man like that he would have knocked me the #$%& out!!!

AK Jeff
Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

did you see him shoot the .22lr at the buffalo at like 100yds? and it just ran......lol

how about the girl having the best sighting in idea vs. that other idiot?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 AM

Personally I'd like to see a reality show for all those folks who thought repopulating wolves was such a great idea.

As for the Ak Experiment, I think it's a good concept except I'd like to see some folks with a little more outdoors experience on it. Watching these inner city types flounder around is getting old and as it's been pointed out, there are obviously some setup situations.

One question for ya'll - what style of Mountain Hardware jackets are they wearing? Is that the 'tech' jacket?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: AK Jeff

According to the Alaska hunting regulations it is illegal to "take" big game animals with a .22 rimfire (page 16). The definition of "take" (page 23) includes "attempting to take, pursue, hunt, fish, trap, or in any manner capture or kill fish or game." Just attempting to shoot a bison with a .22LR in Alaska is therefore illegal. I still haven't seen that episode, but I did see the goat hunt episode today. I'm glad that guy got to go on his first hunting trip, but that was really pretty pathetic. I love how these people are roughing it in their "crude shelters" i.e. cabins, complete with pressure cookers for canning salmon. I'm interested to see just how well they like eating those spawned out salmon they're pulling out of those streams. They look downright nasty. Those two snotty sisters need to get their clocks cleaned. If I ever talked to my ol' man like that he would have knocked me the #$%& out!!!

AK Jeff
Amen to that! lol!. . if I ever talked to my dad the way those girls do, I woulda been knocked silly for sure [8D]. . . . I watched a couple of episodes, but it's too staged for me. . . shelter, gear and all, I still think they'd all be dead within a month without their "off camera experts" there to save them.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 AM

You'd think that Discovery Channel would do a better job than to sensationalize things like the networks do with their reality crap. Now we're going to have more knuckleheads in the woods packing 22's hunting big game. I was impressed with the crab trap the one dude made if he really came up with the idea and built it.. don't recall if it caught any crabs.

Quick Reply: The Alaska Experiment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.