Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Politically Correct

Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Politically Correct

I grew up on a ranch. We harvested alpalfa, corn, beans, chili, squash, ect. We killed and butchered cattle, goats. sheep, hogs, chickens, etc.

When we go hunting we kill and butcher animals, we don't harvest them by picking them out of the ground.

The RMEF wasone of the of the wildlife organizations who started the politically correct word "Harvest" bowing to the animal rights activists. The RMEF never gets into political issues they should stay out of this one too. I do not belong to the RMEF.

Some hunters say by killing instead of harvesting we aregiving the animal rights activists more ammunition. Does one really think if we say harvest the animal rights activists will like us any more?

I am a proud hunter, and I don't have to candy coat what I do for anybody. I "Kill" my game I don't "Harvest" them. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I kill, take, harvest, PC is absurd, has no place in culture, its all bsing one another, lying to everyone to tell them what they want to hear does no one any good, nor does sensoring oneself in order to not be labeled crazy in modern society. It all needs to end.

Only terminology that gets me, is when a non hunter asks, "what did you catch?" I didn't catch anything, I wasn't fishing....I was hunting....I either took/killed, harvested....

Old 04-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Love those chocolate antlered Idaho bucks Robert! I shot a nice 5x5 two years ago out there and it antlers were dark chocolate,I was hoping they wouldn't lighten up as they dried out.They didn't.
[quote]ORIGINAL: tsoc

I am not sure what causes the darker horns in some bucks. We always assumed it was due to them spending most of their time in deep dark timber and brush, causing a lack of sun fading. We also notice bucks in cedar areas have a red hue to their horns, so it may be caused by what they rub on. I imagine mineral content in the plants and soil also play into it. Maybe we should start a new post for this topic to find out the answer.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:11 PM

No apology necessary. I obviously did not explain my point clearly.

Thanks for being a gentleman. Few and far between these days.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Maybe she thought that if she planted a piece of the horn somewhere in the wilds, a new moose would grow to replace the one she "harvested."
Funny.

I'm lucky to live in a place wherealmost everybody I know hunts. I think the internet is just about the only place I've heard the term "harvest" used in relation to hunting, although looking in the Oregon Game Regs just now, that's the term used there, too. Huh.
Oh, well. Whether we kill, shoot, slay or harvest, the more people who hunt, the better.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

"If you want to grill it, first you have to kill it."

Ted Nugent.

Have to say I agree with him!

I guess my reply would have been an innocent: "Oh, you DIDN'T kill it?" What could she say to that?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

so if i shoot a deer and it dies that harvesting. then shouldnt the guy that goes into a bank and starts shooting people shouldnt he be arrested for harvesting in the 1st degree.

sorry thats taking it kinda far but thats where PC is heading. i dont know but i think the reason the regs use the term harvest is probably more for legal reasons not so much to cater to the non hunters. or even tobe exactly politically correct but just to make it as clear as possible in the event of a criminal charge.

so i will go on killing things and everybody else can do whatever it is they do. whatever floats your boat i guess.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Fork Horn

So here's my take on Political Correctness and the use of the term harvest. In general PC terminology is a weak attempt to try and make people feel better about themselves in a rather ambiguous fashion. For the most part it's things like disabled/handicapped...black/African-American...dwarf/little person...dumber than hell/cerebrally challenged...you get my drift. Now maybe kill/harvest can be filed in that same category, but here's how I see it differently. Using the term harvest is considerably less likely to offend that average non-hunter that straddles the middle ground between us hunters and the PETA types that want to see us shut down for good. Whether we like it or not the vast majority of the voting public are non-hunters and we as hunters have the power to push them to vote against us if we offend them. So in the end it's really a self serving issue with me. If I use the term harvest I figure I'm less likely to have those non-hunters vote me out of my favorite past time. I take full responsibility for killing the animals that I hunt and I understand perfectly well that I'm taking a life, but I still choose to use the word harvest when in mixed company, including online forums. I really don't see it any differently than taking the time to put the tongue back in the mouth of a harvested animal and wiping the blood off of its muzzle before I take photos of it. It's just that added little bit that can keep from offending the middle ground people like my own mother, who support others right to hunt, but don't reallycare forthe blood and guts that go with it. Now, I know I digress because the original post was in regard to a female hunter that may have been offended by "killing" and not a non-hunter, but I say so what. She's hunting, she's supporting the sport that we all love, and she'll probably convince some of her girlfriends of the merits of hunting. Who cares if she wants to call it wilderness meat shopping, she's on our side isn't she. In the end I'd rather have the opportunity to harvest game animals until I'm an old man, than have my right to kill critters taken away at the ballot box. That's my two cents.

AK Jeff