Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Politically Correct

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Politically Correct

I was on a flight for a few hours sitting next to a young lady some time ago and we got into a discussion on hunting. She told me how she had "harvested" a moose in a hunt a few days before. I was delighted for her success, but found her a little stressed over my response when I asked her where she killed the moose. It was like she would never kill anything, but harvesting was ok. Maybe she thought that if she planted a piece of the horn somewhere in the wilds, a new moose would grow to replace the one she "harvested."

This terminology was new to me. Don't we shoot and kill things anymore? Are we not responsible for the death of the animals we kill? How does this community feel about this?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Politically Correct

Yep, its "harvest" not "kill," and god forbid if someone out in the public actually sees the "deceased' animal that you just "harvested."
Old 04-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

phuck that!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I would have been the one who wrote this but everyday it applies to more of life

“A mere 40 years of politically correct rhetoric does not replace 40,000 years of instinct, biology, and human nature.”
Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skb2706

I am going out to the farm in a week or so to "harvest" some prairie dogs. Once the field has been shot it will appear that someone has harvested them with a lawnmower.

I wish I would have been the one who wrote this but everyday it applies to more of life

“A mere 40 years of politically correct rhetoric does not replace 40,000 years of instinct, biology, and human nature.”

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just the fact that it was young woman and she was involved in hunting would be enough for me!Whether she harvested,killed,took,dispatched etc.We have enough to contend with without criticizing any hunters choice of words.
Personally I don't use the word harvest,but I am always respectful and concious of the differences between the various types of people I am in the audience of.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 AM

I am afraid that you missed my point. Never in our converstation did I say anything intentionally to provoke the young lady. Our conversation went on throughout the flight- all on the subject of hunting. I did not use the term "kill" to insite her- just speaking the way I would normally. The concept that she was offended by the word "kill" surprised me. We did not have a follow up discussion on semantics.

But I do believe that anyone who takes the life of an animal should be responsible for that life and accept that this is a solemn thing. Animals are here by the grace of God for the use of mankind for food and raimant, as scripture says, but killing them in my opinion is something we cannot ever reduce to a term that attempts to remove our responsibility for the act of taking that life.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I never thought about the terminology before, but now that you have mentioned it I see that everything in our state hunting regs says "harvest", and not shot, or killed, but they do also use "taken". I have also heard that several states are considering, or all ready have laws about the transportation and display of "harvested" game as not to offend any non hunters, is this true? I am for not trying to gross out non hunters by a bloody display, but I was brought up by hunters who always did the victory laps through town with their deer and elk strapped to the truck. This was not to offend non hunters, it was to let others see their success, and maybe for a little bragging rights at the mill on monday. We also used to hunt on our way to school in the morning, and on our way home in the afternoon, leaving our rifles in the car all day, and if we took an animal in the morning we would bring it by the school to show our teacher and would be excused from class to deal with the meat. I miss the days when hunters didn't have to feel ashamed for what they did, when they were celebrated for their success. I guess if food prices keep going up, and people start hunting again to feed their family, opinions may change. It would also be helpful if educators got their facts straight and quit making hunters out to be the bad guy, and instead told the truth about how the abundance of wild game in this country currently is do to the support and work of modern hunters.

There is blood in this photo, on my hand, but it is my blood, and by watching the news and tv I guess human blood is ok.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

My apologies,you are right I did not pick up on a key point that you had made.My mistake! It is interesting depending upon where your from and the opinions or culture that surround hunting in your community.It shapes how you speak about things.
In my opinion she should have not been uncomfortable using the word kill when speaking to another hunter.She may have been so accustomed to softening her language for non hunting folks in her community that it has become second nature,or she was doing it for her own comfort.Either way she is out there hunting as a young person and a woman and that is great.Hopefully she will sort out that other stuff,maybe it was the manner in which she was raised,to talk about killing something may have been considered unlady like by her parents?
I apologize again,not meaning to criticize!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love those chocolate antlered Idaho bucks Robert! I shot a nice 5x5 two years ago out there and itantlers were dark chocolate,I was hoping they wouldn't lighten up as they dried out.They didn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.