Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

6mm Remington and elk

Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6mm Remington and elk

I just got one question. If a bull of a lifetime walks out at 250 yards plus yards, or the bull is at a wrong anglewould you be willing to pass or would you try to take a shot? If you could honestysay"yes I would pass" to yourself on this question, then I say go for it.Asstated aboveas I am sure you already know the .243 is on the very low end of being able to kill a elk. I know a old timerfrom central (Salmon)Idaho who uses a .243 and only a.243 for elk. I believe he's in his mid 80's and still elkhunts on a yearly basis. I am friends with his grandson and they have a good time with the entire family each year. His grandpa doesn't care about horn size, never has, never will and most years he kills cows.He is willing to pass up any elk if its not a good standing broadside shot at 200 yards or under. This felllow has many many elk under his belt, but notany trophy bulls,overall he has longer time tohuntthan the average hunter because the elk almost live in his back yard. It has only been these last few years thathe's had to travel much to find any elk becasuse of the havoc the wolves has caused. Anyway yes the .243 can kill a elk, but I sure wouldn't want to takeone on a late season elk hunt if there is any chance of killing a big bull let alone a trophy.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you use a 6 mm on elk , I can almost guarantee you that sooner or later, you would regret it. Would probably do fine on one hunt, our would this one be the time you would regret?

As far as making a spine shot just behind the head. Sounds good and kills instantly when it hits the spine. However, a quick flick of the head (elk are know for such flicks) and you have broken the jaw and they run off to die slowly.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's the .30-06 for? It'd be nice if it were just that simple, wouldn't it?

But it's not. I hunt a variety of terrain. Some of it very steep, some of it very open. Which rifle would you prefer carrying up a mountainside at 10,000 feet? One that weighs just shy of seven pounds with a scope? Or one that weighs over nine pounds with a scope? Would you care about that as much out on the plains?

I might also pull.375 H&H, .300 Weatherby, .308, or .44 Magnum rifles out of the safe for the same species. There are also .223s and a .22-250 resting there.Each of those rifles are purpose-built for one thing or another. It remains that the .30-06 and that short-barrelled, lightweight Remington 600 in .243 are still the most versatile of the group.

Am I selective with shots I'll take on elk? Absolutely. But, I'm selective with shots I'll take on deer and antelope, too. Trophy bull of a lifetime quartering away at 250 yards? I'm probably going to pass, whether I'm armed with the .243 orwhether I happen to be carrying the .300. Broadside? Maybe I won't pass. Would I attempt a stalk to close the range a little? Sure I would. Trophy pronghorn at 500 while carrying the .300 Wby? I've passed on that one, too. Too much wind and a fawn kept sneaking in behind him. No amount of bony structure on an animal's head is worth a potentially crippling shot, regardless of the caliber I'm carrying.

Added: So, "spine shot and flick of the head" example above.

1) You're shooting a 6mm. What's the result?
2) You're shooting a 7mm Magnum. What's the result?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 PM

I do have the patience to wait. I waited on a 5x6 muley last fall. I didn't want to shoot him in the neck.

Most of my hunting is close. If farther I get closer. I have all season to hunt elk and don't use a guide.

I respect your opinions, but it's funny that no one themselves has used a .243, 6mm on elk.

That Remington 600 carries like a dream and shoots great. Within 200 yards I think itis reasonable with a non shoulder hit.

But you know, in the end when I walk out the door the pre-64 .270 will go.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

If I am going to all the effort and expense to go elk hunting, I will sure enough take a rifle to suit the task. It is the responsibility of the hunter to dispatch his quary as quickly as possible.

I don't like to hunt with others that are under-gunned. If we come up on a bear I want some help in stopping him.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: homers brother

Am I selective with shots I'll take on elk? Absolutely. But, I'm selective with shots I'll take on deer and antelope, too. Trophy bull of a lifetime quartering away at 250 yards? I'm probably going to pass, whether I'm armed with the .243 orwhether I happen to be carrying the .300. Broadside? Maybe I won't pass. Would I attempt a stalk to close the range a little? Sure I would. Trophy pronghorn at 500 while carrying the .300 Wby? I've passed on that one, too. Too much wind and a fawn kept sneaking in behind him. No amount of bony structure on an animal's head is worth a potentially crippling shot, regardless of the caliber I'm carrying.

So you're proficient with the weapon, and you're selective about your shots. I'd say you're good to go.

Will you be doing a DIY hunt, or with an outfitter?

FC
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

" Within 200 yards I think itis reasonable with a non shoulder hit. "

Assuming you mean a double lung hit, I couldn't agree with you more!

However, as we all know sometimes sh** just happens. There are a 1000 scenerios where something can go wrong with where the bullet strikes. I personally plan with that in mind. After all, if you get close enough, a 22 will do the job.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Personaly I prefer a broadhead . I was in a large sporting goods store in greatfalls and saw a good number of trophy elk and mulies killed my the same name with a 6mm.My thought was he's good.

[/align]
Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....But you know, in the end when I walk out the door the pre-64 .270 will go...."
Stirring the pot, and just for sport it would appear, apparently a theoretical exercise.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I respect your opinions, but it's funny that no one themselves has used a .243, 6mm on elk.
You think there just might be a reason for this?????????

Quick Reply: 6mm Remington and elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.