HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6mm Remington and elk
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 PM
idahoelkinstructor
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6mm Remington and elk

I just got one question. If a bull of a lifetime walks out at 250 yards plus yards, or the bull is at a wrong anglewould you be willing to pass or would you try to take a shot? If you could honestysay"yes I would pass" to yourself on this question, then I say go for it.Asstated aboveas I am sure you already know the .243 is on the very low end of being able to kill a elk. I know a old timerfrom central (Salmon)Idaho who uses a .243 and only a.243 for elk. I believe he's in his mid 80's and still elkhunts on a yearly basis. I am friends with his grandson and they have a good time with the entire family each year. His grandpa doesn't care about horn size, never has, never will and most years he kills cows.He is willing to pass up any elk if its not a good standing broadside shot at 200 yards or under. This felllow has many many elk under his belt, but notany trophy bulls,overall he has longer time tohuntthan the average hunter because the elk almost live in his back yard. It has only been these last few years thathe's had to travel much to find any elk becasuse of the havoc the wolves has caused. Anyway yes the .243 can kill a elk, but I sure wouldn't want to takeone on a late season elk hunt if there is any chance of killing a big bull let alone a trophy.