Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

6mm Remington and elk

Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 6mm Remington and elk

Is it a 6mm rem mag, or regular 6mm? I thought the 600 was a magnum series gun.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Marginal" and "Bad" are a matter of geometry. There's not much of a "margin" at 200 yards on an elk quartering away. A couple inches one way and you miss, a couple inches the other and you've gut-shot him. A little low and his front leg's gone, a little high and you hit him superficially in the shoulder. No amount of firepower's going to correct that. And, "bad shots" are often as much a fault of poor judgement in taking a shot with too much "margin of error"as they are lack of skill.

Rely on whatever you need to. I'll rely on good judgement, marksmanship, and stalking/set-up all day long. And, if it really WERE necessary to carry a magnum-whatever into the field for elk, what the heck are all those guys (and gals) doing out there with big handguns,bows, arrows, and traditional muzzleloaders?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

when they are hunting bear with a handgun, do they use the smallest possible caliber and rely on thir accuracy?Would you go hunt a grizzly with a recurve and expect the same damageand penetration as you would with agood compound? The day i see somebody shooting a .243 from a muzzle loader i'll let you know. There is a reason people use the weapons that transfer more energy, because when it comes down to it, they put the hit on an animal harder and have the potential to put the animal down faster all things being equal. That is a point that cannot be argued.

Do I think a.17HMR is fine for deer or elk or whatever, yeah, if you can garuntee that you can hit your target precisely 100 percent of the time and in all conditions. But i doubt anybody on the face of the earth can do that 100 percent of the time.

Im not a fan of the magnum craze,I'm not athe fan of wizbang cartridges, but I cannot dispute the benefits that they offer.

Point is, larger calibers do more damage with all other thingsbeing equal,and thats a fact you cannot dispute.

Again, this is my opinion, please feel free to rip into it.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I think I stick around here just for the "is it big enough" question and it usualy brings EKM out of hiding .

All I have to say is elk of a life time 1\4 to me 150yds 375H&H yes I can 6M no I cant.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Most guys on this forum are big mag fans.. For me I don't think you need a mag but a 6mm is too light IMHO.. how many up close an personal shots are you going to get? If you're a very controlled hunter and only take shots you know you can kill then maybe you can get away with it. That said, you don't get a lot of shots at elk and you're going to want to take a shot that requires more gun.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM

A similar round, the .243 I have used to bring down fromwhitetails to dogs. But when I use my .257 weatherby mag. or my 7mm rem mag they drop like a rock. We are not talking a lot of difference in the caliber of a 6mm and the .257 but trust me its the ass thats behind It. You need more powder and a bullet that will penetrate and expand well. Elk arent in rut during rifle, they arent going to set still and are likely to be at range. Think again about taking the 6mm. There are plenty ofrifles out there that will take your elk down and wont weigh you down (if you can handle the recoil). Ethics are involved here.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey gangly, did I miss something? I don't recall saying "small" handguns, did I? Did I say anything about a ".243 muzzleloader"? Try reading the post before you jam your foot into your keyboard. Those are your ideas - not mine. I'd appreciate you not trying to put your words in my mouth.

I've used four different calibers on elk, and what's mattered most was shot placement, not the caliber. As far as thea$$ behind it, theBEST, textbook shot I took on an elk was with a .375 H&H, the 300 grain Barnes SPtaking out both lungs and the heart, and he STILL ran 100 yards before bleeding out,which doesn't explain why an elk of about the same size shot head-on throughone lung and the heartwith a .243 fell over dead.

But hey, if you're not COMFORTABLE shooting a 6mm at an elk, by all means don't attempt it.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You mentioned people using handguns, bows, and muzzle loaders. I repliedthat yes, they do, but when they do, they dont try to go for the smallestbullet for thehandgun, the smallest weakestbow for a bow hunt, and a smallest caliber possiblefor a muzzle loaderhunt that would possiblyresult in a kill, and thatDIRECTLY relates to this topic....using too small a caliberfor a given animal. They use the weapon, bullet, bow, caliber, etc.within each catagory that can transfer the energy most affectly.

If you could, please try understanding the post before you jam your foot into your keyboard. At the bottom of that post i made sure that everybody understood those are my opinions, and that everybody is free to rip into them. I'd appreciateyou not taking the time to read that portion, or rather comprehend it, and trying to turn my post around as me trying to push it down peoples thoat when i explicitlysaid otherwise. Im' sure you will come back with a halfway thoughtout reply so pleasePM meif you wish to continue this further, it doesnt belong on thisposting as it is taking away from the original question asked.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gangly,

Yes, let's go back to the original post. The author inquired as to the suitability of using his Remington Model 600 in 6mm Remington on elk.

I've used my Remington Model 600 in .243 (very similar to the 6mm) on elk and would again without hesitation. The Model 600 is extremely fast-handling in the timber, not to mention easy to carry up and down the mountains.

You're recommending to the contrary. Yet, I've no evidence of your experience with the Model 600, the 6mm, or the .243. You simply offer that "bigger is better".

We'll simply have to agree to disagree....

Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remnard,

You're probably thinking of the original, laminated stock Model 600 (and I believe also the 660) which was offered in 6.5mm Remington Magnum. It was also offered in the non-magnum 6mm Remington.

I've run across Model 600/660s in a wide variety of calibers: .222, .223, .243, 6mm Rem., 6.5mm Rem Mag, .308, .35 Remington, and .350 Rem Mag.

The two magnums were typified by what was often described as "horrendous" muzzle blast from their 18-1/2 inch barrels. I'm always looking for a good, used .350 anyway.... I may never shoot it, but always wanted one.

Quick Reply: 6mm Remington and elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.