Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

kansas antelope

Old 04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Spike

Default kansas antelope

I was wondering if anyone has done any good bow huntingfor antelope in Kansas. Theres a bunch of walk-in ground and the tags are pretty cheap. I want to try to shoot something besides whitetails and turkeys
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: kansas antelope

do you live there? I bet its like nebraska, they have some.....I just think if you dont live in that state and are taking a special trip I may passby and go onto say wyoming.....etc.....where I may have a chance at a real nice one.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Spike

Yea i live in the middle of the state. A resident tag isnt very much so i figured i might give it a try. I have applied in Wyoming for 3 years now and havent got a tag so far.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The antelope hunting in Kansas is pretty tough. Not a lot of them. Even though there is a lot of Walk-in access, if there are antelope on it, there usually are several other hunters on it as well. Plus, if I remember right, much of the WIHA doesn't open until after archery season. Your best bet would be to knock on doors and find private access, asmostof the farmers out there don't like them.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

How have you not drawn in WY?Have you been getting points?Check out around Colby and Brooster there were some in that area when I rifle hunted them.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 PM

If your interested in Nebraska, I know of some areas that have goats but need to be avoided because every tom dick and harry has all the goats on edge, but there are a few places that the goats aren't so scared.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

go for it, esp as a res/cheap tag, alot of guys do well with a bow over waterholes, or even stalking during the rut with a decoy.

Also there are many great areas in WY you can draw in less than 3 years......so less youre applying for a great unit/ all time type unit, which have horrible odds, I think many alternative units are woth applying for.

Also remember your 1st choice in wyoming is kinda your only choice since, everyone's 1st choice is considered before anyone's 2nd choice.

After looking at the statistics i was surprised to find out that with only 1 pt I should draw an antelope tag this year. In a great unit!

I think there are many great units you can draw every 2-3years. I know some of the best/all time type units in wy could take 10years or so to draw, and really I dont see the point in this, less youve already taken some great antelope and just pay to hunt elsehwere...or just want to take a great hunt every 10years etc....
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I live over in the area. The goat hunting isn't great but not bad either. I think you will find it worth your wild to knock on a few doors and spot the farmer a few bucks. The private land is much better than the public. The public stuff isn't bad but few antelope stay on it for long. Private land will give you a better chance to setup and/or spot and stalk. With the price of gas you might find you have spent plenty making several trips out to the public stuff only to have another hunter doing the same and you both mess each other up. I am running about 80% success but as mentioned I live in the area and hunt almost daily. If you are going to travel I would recommend 3 to 5 days in the area to give it a good honest chance.

Goatslayer........
Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Spike

Thanks for all of the info. I can't remember which unit in Wyoming i was applying for. My cousin owns a couple thousand acres north of Rawlins so we were hoping to hunt on his ground. Its full of them. I guess i will keep applying tho
Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

you should look into the draw odds for his area and figure out when you're due to draw.....then after you draw if you want to go in following years you may want to put in for the special antelope draw.....ie more money, but higher draw odds.

Ater comparing some units......some quality units can be drawn in a year or 2 with the special whereas regular may take 2-4years....

So yea paying an extra 200 may suck, but if you can hunt your cousins area.....every 2 years, vs every 4 years....might be worth it.....

Quick Reply: kansas antelope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.