Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk tag questions?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM

Default CO elk tag questions?

I've been studying the CO DOW regs for a few weeks and I even managed to apply for a preference point online. My question is about the second and third season tags. How do you apply for a second or third season cow tag?

And does anyone know which is the least crowded season, between first, second, and third season?

I hunted 2nd season in 2006 with one of the GMU 25/26cow tags allby myself. Learned a lot and I saw some elk, didn't take any shots. My best oppurtunity was on a spike at about 10 yards, I was ready to shoot in self defense when he almost ran me over. Plan this year is to hunt first with a leftover tag or second season. I'm a meat hunter, so I'm happy with a cow tag (though seeing those trucks headed east in 2006 across NE with horns strapped on the trailers had me re-thinking my cow tag).
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CO elk tag questions?

The first season definately has the least hunters, since it is a draw only season, but can only be gotten by the drawing. There could be some first season units that have left over tags (either sex), but won't be available until August.

The second season has the most nonresidents and thethird season has the most residents in an average year, at least that is what is reported. The later seasons are pretty much weather dependent: lots of snow means good harvest, but this year, the second season got the snow and better harvest, the later seasons were hot and dry. If you figure out how to predict that let me know!

As far as cow tags, there are some units that sell them over the counter, with a cap, but most units only have rifle cow tags through the drawing, so if you didn't put that as a second choice, you will have to wait until August and see if there are any leftovers.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You had to apply before April 1st so you are SOL unless you can get a left over tag as stated above.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the answers guys.

I was looking at the draw results from 2007 last night and it looked like their weren't many (if any) either sex tags leftover after the draw, but a few hunt codes had some leftover cow tags.

For a specific hunt code, is the tag quota for that hunt spread across all 4 seasons?

Also, if I wanted a cow tag for a the second season, your saying I would of had to apply before April 1st.

Thanks again for the info. I'll be out this fall, one way or another.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

If you call CO DOW as soon as the left-over tags are available, you will be able to get a cow tag. Of course you will not get one in 10 or 61 but you can get one in a decent GMU for 2nd season.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:09 PM

So the leftovers are only for seasons 2 and 3? Can a leftover be used for 1st season?

Thanks for helping me understand how the CO tags work.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

A left over tag is just like applying for a regular tag only you don't apply, they are sold on a first come first served basis sometime in early August.

Each season has a certain amount of tags available for a specific management unit or group of units and corrosponding season. Ifthe unit(s) and combined seasondidn't have the aloted tags soldthen there will be left over tags for that season and unit.

Season 1 is cow only and draw only and I believe is resident only.

A make believeexamplewould be unit 54 near Gunnison. Seaon 1 may have sold out of cow tags but season 2 has 17 remaining tags, seaons 3sold out, andseason 4 has 21 remaining tags. You can get 1 ofany of these left over cow tags provided you are there or call when they go on sale.

If you are able to secure a left over cow tag it must be used during the specified season and specified game management unit(s).

The only tags that are good for any season are private land only tags but these are still restricted to specific game management units. These are good from the opening day of archery season until Janruary 31 but you must use the corrosponding method of take for the season. IE... Archery, muzzle loader, rifle.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Season 1 is cow only and draw only and I believe is resident only. "

Not true. The first season is generally either sex and is available to nonresidents with a cap of either 35% or 20%. However, this cap goes away after the first drawing if there are left overs.

There can be left over tags from any draw season if not enough people apply.

In general, for what is considered OTC units, here are the seasons:

1) Archery: OTC tags, with sometimes cow tags being sold as an "addtional" license (in other words, you could have two archery tags, one for either sex and one for a cow)

2) Muzzleloading: draw only. Tags are bull only or cow only. I have never seen any left over bull tags, but there are usually left over cow tags. However, the cow tags go to people who put that as their second choice. I have not seen any left over for sale in years

3) 1st rifle: Elk only, by drawing only, either sex tags

4) 2nd and 3rd elk rifle: OTC unlimited tags for bulls. Cow tags sometimes available OTC with a cap till they sell out.

5) 4th rifle: by drawing only. Don't expect any left over bull tags (or either sex)on this hunt because they only give verylimited tag numbers for this hunt. Although there might be some left over cow tags
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bugs, you ever consider the cow only rifle season end of Sept.? I was in the same units 25/26 in 2006 myself for last wk of archery, and ran into a few hunters out for the cows w/rifle. But wasn't many at all.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Buckalley, please elaborate re: the late Sept. cow only rifle hunt.

Quick Reply: CO elk tag questions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.