Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Over the counter mule deer tag?? >

Over the counter mule deer tag??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Over the counter mule deer tag??

Old 01-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Over the counter mule deer tag??

I'm looking for advice on over the counter muley BUCK tags. . .I'm building points in both CO and WY with my group, but a couple of us are gettin antzy and thinkinabout buying some OTC tags, ifat all possible.Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Default RE: Over the counter mule deer tag??

where are you applying for in wyoming. i get a general tag for either muledeer or whitetail, buck or doe. have got this for the last ten years. never had to put in for points. find an area and apply for that whole region
Old 01-27-2008, 10:47 AM

The problem isn't in the actuall application process, just a the scheduling of particular hunts.
This year we are somewhat commited to an Alaskan caribou bow hunt, and the actual problem is that it's a DIY hunt that requiresthe rental of a quad-cab 4x4 and a 5th wheel. The hunt (if it happens) will be in August, but unfortunately,the rental company doesn't open for the season until May! [:'(]. . .so with suchshort notice, a couple of us would like a solid back up hunt. One with no application, just over the counter.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

No OTC deer tags in Colo unless you buy leftover leftover draw tags at the last minute.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Silvertip-
can you tell me anything about OTC bull elk tags, the CO DOW book is just mind boggling to me sometimes, but it states that you can buy bull tags OTC in units designated Unlimited for the 2nd and 3rd season. I've got a cousin in Montrose so I'm particularly interested in units 62, 64, & 65. . .any advice?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure how eastern MT tags work, but this past fall was there hunting antelope, and I have never seen so many mule deer in my life! let me repeat, never seen so many mule deer in my life!!

Way more does than bucks, but still when you see a 1000 or 2000 deer on your drive back in the evening, a few of those are bucks....not a place for Boone and Crockett racked bucks, but I think you sould be able to draw a tag easily if not OTC, and for managment sake, shoot about 10 does for each buck you take.

I was in the SE region, near Broadus. Could be a fun hunt on short notice I suppose and a good do it yourself style, everyone would shoot something I'm sure, though not sure how many bucks....certainly you could kill a few dozen does a piece!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Thanx salukipv1, I've heardthe rumors about Broadus and it's definitly on my short list of places to go. Just can't be done OTC from what I understand [:@]
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd think you could get an OTC doe tag, or 100% draw on does, and pretty good odds for a buck tag I'd assume.