Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Why shark fishing is like hunting >

Why shark fishing is like hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why shark fishing is like hunting

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM

Default Why shark fishing is like hunting

Hi everyone,

New to the site and did get the hunting bug last year. Deer hunting in the Catskills of New York, though I'm from the coast of Mass. I found a great parallel between shark fishing and hunting...I'm a charter captain and I fish for sharks and tuna in Massachusetts. I just can't get over how much shark fishing is like hunting, and I just wanted to throw out there to you all a little invite to check us out in case you're looking for something to do before next deer season!

Fishing for sharks is a team event! You can actually talk, be loud, listen to the radio while you wait for the shark to come to the boat. I was hunting next to my friend in the woods and I couldn't hear him whispering in my ear. And moving around? Forget about it! Chalk one up for sharking! Talking and having fun is encouraged.

Cold. Sitting completely still in the snow. Or, catching some rays in the warm sun....

We saw plenty of does walk by...that was cool...When we see whales swim by the boat, those whales weigh 50,000 pounds!

We didn't bag any bucks, but had we, our day/season would have been over. 20+ sharks in a day is a great day! We can release the ones that we don't want and keep fishing! And, once we keep one that we want, we can still keep fishing.

Now I loved my experience in the woods hunting. I never get peace and quiet in my life. It's part of being married with two little kids, a cell phone, home phone, etc. Sitting there all quiet was amazing. Seeing nature like that was also amazing. In Mass, if you go 1/4 mile into the woods you just came out the other side and are on another street. So, walking 20 minutes off of the road meant true quiet and aloneness. I liked that.

I didn't have a chance to unload on a buck, but I can imagine that it's a great feeling. Watching enough hunting shows, it's got to bea rush and a half. And tracking down the buck if it doesn't fall immediately must be amazing. Now, imagine having a bear come into your range and then having to wrestle it for an hour or two (without the fear of getting shredded)! That's shark fishing. When you get it to the boat, you can get shredded, though, if you're unlucky (check out the video on my site called 'crazy mako'. It almost jumped in the boat and ate me. When you do get a shark to the boat that you want, then the adrenaline is amazing--we have to harpoon it or hit it with a flying gaff (an 8" detachable hook made out of 1/2 inch stainless). We then haveto lasso it's tail and tie it to the boat. The more I talk about shark fishing, the more I envision big game hunters really, really getting into it.

Guys, it's just my thought. In case you've never thought about it, it's a great take. I've looked at what some big game hunts cost and shark fishing really looks like a great deal. There are great Bed and Breakfasts in the Plymouth area. If 4 guys get two rooms, the cost for two days of fishing is about $650/each. And shark tastes great and freezes amazingly...Just in case you're interested..

Have a great winter. I'm thinking spring already! We start fishing on April 1 for cod/haddock and the sharks come in around June 15 and stay until October..

Capt. Rich Antonino
Black Rose Fishing Charters, 508-269-1882
http://www.blackrosefishing.com/trips/tripSharks.aspx

Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Why shark fishing is like hunting

sharks bite....
Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Why shark fishing is like hunting

Now imagine deer had a set of teeth like this? Some taxidermist tied one on one night and made a jackalope...imagine that same taxidermist working this set of teeth into a deer or bear?