Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Rash

Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Rash

Plain ole corn starch, and change your drawers daily.Wash with the wet wipes, and some powder and you should be able to head this situation off. Tucks medicated pads are pretty handy as well and take up very little room in the pack.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the rash, stay away from ALL cotton products. Cotton has no place in the back country other than maybe blowing your nose. Look for an antimicrobial type material and also look for a boxer type brief where there is no elastic band in the groin area.

Make sure that if you use wipes, there is no alcohol in the wipes. I stay away from wipes and take a bar of soap and a washcloth with me. It can be colder than heck jumping into a creek, but even after a 2 week stint in the backcountry, I don't stink. To me hygiene is huge on backcountry hunts.

Chlorophyl tablets can be used starting 2 days before your hunt and into the hunt. These tablets are amazing and cut way back on the odor that you produce.

Your rash could be from the rubbing but may also be amplified by bacteria build up....Get yourself some new shorts and keep yourself clean!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

As far as the rash, stay away from ALL cotton products. Cotton has no place in the back country other than maybe blowing your nose. Look for an antimicrobial type material and also look for a boxer type brief where there is no elastic band in the groin area.

Make sure that if you use wipes, there is no alcohol in the wipes. I stay away from wipes and take a bar of soap and a washcloth with me. It can be colder than heck jumping into a creek, but even after a 2 week stint in the backcountry, I don't stink. To me hygiene is huge on backcountry hunts.

Chlorophyl tablets can be used starting 2 days before your hunt and into the hunt. These tablets are amazing and cut way back on the odor that you produce.

Your rash could be from the rubbing but may also be amplified by bacteria build up....Get yourself some new shorts and keep yourself clean!!!!
I believe this is the answer to your question! I use to have the same problem but I got rid of all my cotton products I took with when elk hunting in the mountains and its no longer been an issue anymore. Keeping the big guys and the surrounding area in your crotch clean I think is a big factor as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy, we have a saying........."Cotton Kills".... I started hunting with some hard core backcountry guys and there is not one who has cotton in his arsenal.

I pay 35.00 each for my undershirts alone, and can wear one for 3 days with proper hygeine. After 3 days the shirt still has little odor as it is antimicrobial.

Proper clothing is very important to me and I don't mind spending the extra to make sure I will be very comfortable with very little.

Sitka makes some great products for each layer that you need. The 90% clothes have been absolutly awesome. I don't even need rain gear now in my pack.

Check out the undershorts also, a little spendy, but very functional to say the least!!!!

I used to go the route of buying what I thought was a great deal, only to be buying something the following year because the others did not do what I wanted.... I would have been better off buying the good stuff to begin with.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

Schultzy, we have a saying........."Cotton Kills".... I started hunting with some hard core backcountry guys and there is not one who has cotton in his arsenal.

I pay 35.00 each for my undershirts alone, and can wear one for 3 days with proper hygeine. After 3 days the shirt still has little odor as it is antimicrobial.

Proper clothing is very important to me and I don't mind spending the extra to make sure I will be very comfortable with very little.

Sitka makes some great products for each layer that you need. The 90% clothes have been absolutly awesome. I don't even need rain gear now in my pack.

Check out the undershorts also, a little spendy, but very functional to say the least!!!!

I used to go the route of buying what I thought was a great deal, only to be buying something the following year because the others did not do what I wanted.... I would have been better off buying the good stuff to begin with.

Good post Elkcrazy! Everything you said has either happened to me or friends of mine while out in the mountains. I'm going to have to look into that Sitka clothing your talking about too! Thanks for the good info!!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem, I don't mean to hijack this thread, however it does go hand in hand with the original post. If you haven't had the chance, get Cameron Hanes book on backcountry bowhunting. Hands down the best book out there for hard earned tips. If you care to shoot me your e-mail on a pm, I would be more than happy to send you my bivy list. Never forget duct tape, it works great for holding yourself together ( literally).....

I can go all week on a 40 lbs pack and never get cold, wet, or hungry.....

For proper nutrition check out www.wildernessathlete.org , awesome stuff!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Or you could just go to the store and get you some panty hose. Seriously.

They also will keep you from developing saddle sores when riding horses for hours at a time.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Or you could just go to the store and get you some panty hose. Seriously.

They also will keep you from developing saddle sores when riding horses for hours at a time.
I was going to suggest the exact same thing..
On my first ever Cattle Drive an experienced Wrangler from New Mexico, recommended them to anyone planning going on this trip..
People that listened had a blast, people that didn't still wear glad that went, but where more reserved in a lot of activities..
I carry nylons and a couple of travel pakages of those diaper wipes with some type of loation in them (I can't remember what its called), but I made the mistake of being so impressed by them I told everyone what I brought,
Next thing I knew,they were being lendt out to everyone in spike camp...[&o]
They didn't last long.....
So I did suffer eventually.....
Moral of the story..
If ya do carry them keep them to yourself and keep quiet....

Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Little Doe Peep

You could always try going commando.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daddyslittlegirl

You could always try going commando.
Done that too out in the mountains!!

Quick Reply: Rash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.