Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting large black bears

Old 01-31-2003, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default hunting large black bears

Last year I went on my first bear hunt and took a rather small bear the last evening of the hunt. We didn't see many bears and what I saw seemed to be rather shy. I watched the 2 bears I saw circle outside of bow range for sometime before approaching the bait. The question is what steps do I need to take to shoot a large bear? Do they shy from any human odor? What type of cover sent should I use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting large black bears

You've got to be in area where there are large bears. I would say that would be number one. And not only that, but large bears are very skiddish...bait or no bait. They aren't a guarantee.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:40 PM

A bear's sense of smell is his first and foremost line of defense. Human scent control is still very important, a scent controling suit would be important, as an older wiser and hopefully bigger bear will certainly circle downwind of the bait before hitting it. Stand placement and the amount of use at a stand would play a factor. If the stand has been used by other hunters before you, chances are the big one knows whats up and will only come in after dark. cover scents well most anything would work, vanilla extract and anise oil are two good ones that i have heard work, heck cherry pie filling would work too, better to smell like a bait placed by a human then smell like the human who places the bait.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are baiting your own bears they will be used to your scent. If you are using a guide they are used to his scent so STAY AWAY from your bait. Go into your stand & wait.
I have taken 2 P&Y Bears Missed 2 P&Y & passed on 7 adult Bears with 4 trips not getting a Bear near the Bait.
I feel every bear that has come to my bait "KNEW" I was there. The big ones come in-check the bait & sometimes leave to come back & feed after dark. When the big ones come in, they have all their senses working overtime & they take their time.
All my P&Y Bears that came into the Bait was in the last hour of daylight (Four). I have my 19" Bear fully mounted & the kill on video.
Enjoy your Quest-I went on 7 trips b/4 getting my 1st shot at a P&Y Bear. My 1st was a bear I baited myself 18 & 12/16" 6'4" Rug, nose to tail..

always thankful
Old 02-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I feel you have to have a good bear population and in a remote area and it a area that one else hunts.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:02 PM

all good points.

for certain bears know oyu are there when they come in, they don' t care, that' s their point.

excellent advice from ahunter55. I would not recommend smearing cherry pie on yourself at a bait site.

the truth is that really BIG bears are not common, everyone that is seen is reported as a 400 pounder, like every rack buck is 200, but in reality the 400 pound black bear is the 600 pound kid at the circus freak tent.

they are not the average bear, if 18" bears were the norm P&Y would up their min.

the first key in the puzzle is where are there large numbers, relatively speaking of big bears. then move on from there.

I' d probably look at prince of wales island

Old 02-26-2003, 05:11 PM

number one is go where the big bears are!! low hunting pressure, and stand placement are important too. I have taken 3 bears back to back to back over 19" ' s and 2 smaller ones for rugs, my largest is 20 1/4" .
If you would like info on where to hunt the large bears email me and I will help you out. I will be helping guide this year instead of hunt, I' m looking forward to that but will miss not shooting a bear this year.
TODD