Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Dealing with black bears while deer hunting >

Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

I am now hunting in an area of NJ that has a number of black bears roaming around.

My question is, howdo Ideal with them when walking to my stand. Say, they are on my baitpile in the morning when I am walking in, in the dark. Do they just turn and run?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

They should here or see you coming before you reach it.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

true

I get a little scared walking to a stand in bear country, but so far no problems doing so in 10 years.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM

This past weekend I saw a bear at about 50 yards in the woods where I am hunting and it just turned and slowly walked away, but it was unnerving. If it were dark, even worse.

While setting up my stand I noticed the tree I am in has alot of deep clawmarks on it where it looks like bears have climbed it.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the normal reaction of a black bear is to a hunter walking into or out of the woods as I have never had the opportunity to find out.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

lunch
Old 09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

where you hunting? Go over to NJH. We hunt with them. I've seen them plenty times and it's a tough call. Some of the ones I seen and they saw me , they just ambled off. Some took off running. And IO spotted one at 35 yds just tearing 4" thick trees to bits for kicks, I didn't let on that I was in a tree . Had he come my way I would have deffinately handled it a little differently. Let's say him and I are deffianately not sharing the same tree. I was up it first. By the way zone 9 for me.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 PM

jerseyhunter,

I am hunting in Rockaway, in Zone 6. Never hunted the area before so not sure what kind of deer are in the area. Lost my property to hunt in Zone 5, so this was always my backup that I never hunted.

I was screwing in a treestep, when I looked up and noticed the clawmarks about an inch from my face. Should be an interesting year.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are hunters hunting deer in black bear country every year and in many parts of this country. How many get attacked by black bears? Virtually none! I would be way more afraid of getting seriously hurt falling out of a tree stand than I would ever be about getting chewed up by a bear.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Yes Steve863, I agree that virtually none of the hunters get attacked. However, you even said it, "virtually none". Not "absolutely none". 99.99% of bears probably run off before the hunter even knows they are there, but it is the 0.01% that do not want to run away I am interested in. I would rather be armed with some knowledge walking into the woods rather than realize I have no clue as I look down through my treestand platform at the bear who wants to lay out on the branch above my head!

I am just asking for knowledge on bear behavior from people who have seen first hand, as I have not.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many get attacked by black bears? Virtually none!
Key word virtually.2 years ago where I hunt in Black River a hunter was chased down a fire road by a bear, somehow he made it to the road. I was above him aout half mile. There were witnesses and it made the papers.

Here are some reports from zone 6. http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forum13.htm

Quick Reply: Dealing with black bears while deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.