Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Outfitting question

Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Outfitting question

Thinking about going on a guided hunt soon. Been putting away for it this year and I am starting to toss around some ideas for a hunt to try to book for next year but I have two questions. 1. What type of game would you guys prefer. I've only hunted Whitetails, predator, upland birds and waterfowl so anything new would be great. And 2. How much should you generally tip a guide when the hunt is over. I want to look like I've done it before. Thanks guys any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Outfitting question

What part of the country do you want to hunt? Alaska, Canada, North, South, ...
How much are you willing to spend? How much physical actrivity can you do? What about a horseback hunt in Wyoming
Also before you book a hunt make sure you get a tag.

I like Caribou hunt and it tastes good. Tags are easy to get.
I am trying to get a Moose tag in Maine. Still no luck.
Next year I might try a black bear hunt in northen Maine.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on your physical shape, pocket book, weapon preference, shooting ability, dedication, and comfort level preference. A wilderness horseback elk hunt is tough on all the aforementioned but is one of the most memorable experiences you can have as a hunter. Aranch or town hunt for mule deer or antelope is more comfortable and usually less costly. A baited bear hunt up north or an exotic hunt in TX is probably the least demanding, so try to figure out what your limits are and what type of experience you want to come home with.Also whether it is more important to make a kill or experience adifferenttype of hunting in a different place than home. Tips are relative to the type of hunt that you choose also. If a guide is with you for7 days doing everything in his power to see that you have an enjoyable hunt, several hundred dollars will show him your appreciation. On the other hand, if the guide just picks you up and drops you offfroma stand then theyshouldn't expect as much. Don't forgetto tip thecook also if one is used during the hunt. They can really make the trip more pleasurable with good cooking.
Hope this helps as you make your plans. If you've any more specific questions,feel free toask. Like someone else said, there are no dumb questions if you don't know.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

Well I consider myself in pretty good shape. I'm a college pitcher. We run every day. I have a bolt action single shot 30-06. Don't know what type of big game that gun is good for. I'm looking to spend around 3,000 or less not including tip and any other expenses. I'm in Arkansas and would probably drive to wherever I go. I'm thinking Texas, OK, Kansas, Colorado. I want something exotic that would make a good mount. A good conversation piece.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

A 30-06 will allow to go after everything you want in the lower 48 as long as it is not too far away. I would not shoot a 30-06 at more than 300 yards during a hunt. On the range it is another story.

Since you are driving you cannot go too far. That excludes Canada, Alaska, Northeast. You can try an Elk hunt if you can get a tag.

Note: I personnaly hunt first for food and second for mount. Go through the list of outfitters. You can find a good list at http://www.gameandfishnetwork.com/Outfitters/r=West.html. Colorado and Wyoming will offer a nice selection of hunting vacations.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 PM

I dunno if you can beat a elk hunt. Depending on where your going drawing a tag can be difficult. IF you do decide to go on a elk hunt you definately wont regret it.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

A 3000$ price range will make the lowest of the elk hunt trips. Alate season Colorado hunt could be found for that. Those can be below zero temps in deep snow so you would need clothes suitable for that. That price range will get you a mule deer, buffalo, or antelope hunt in NE, WY, CO, TX, and maybe NM. You can also get a number of beautiful exotics in TX for that price. There are a LOT of ranches offeringexotic hunts in TX, most high fence but not all,so researching a while should find you something interesting. Themore acreage they have, the more wild the game tends to be and the more challenging to hunt. Texas also hasfree ranging Aoudad in rugged mountain and canyon country thatcan bea good strenuous huntand free ranging Nilgai on huge ranches in the southeast part of the state. Severaloutfitters that offerNilgai hunts have a minimum caliber requirement of 300 mag. though.They are big, tough, and can take a lot of lead to put down.Maybe some of thiswill peak your interest.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 AM

Sent you a PM
Old 11-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Well I live, hunt, andguideinNew Mexico, most tipsare $200/$500, BUTit depends on what the huntis like: kill or no kill, if you kill how big is it, was your guide helpful and tried hard to find game or not, things like thatis what you should look for when tipping a guide. A lotof huntersalso tip the cook as well, not as much as they tipthe guide,most of the time$50/$150, but then again it depends on what the food is like.

Some outfitters (most of the time you have to ask)will be willing to just proved you with guide,no cook,no camp, or anything like that, just a guide to take you. The outfitter i guide for used to do this (if asked to) for about $1500/$2000 depeneding on the hunt. Most of the time you have to ask because an outfitter ratherget $5,000for a full serviced hunt instead of $1,500 if you know what i mean, so it never hurts to ask.

As for NM $3,000 will get you a lower end elk hunt, an ok mule deer, ora nice antlope hunt.

Somthing you may want to look at is Routier outfitting in SD, Randy has some good hunts for antlope, and mule deer that are under $3000 for a fully servicedhunt.Go to the Archers Choice forum and post a Q on Randys and you will get some good A's some of the people on there went to Randys this fall and had a really good time.