Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 '08 first DIY archery elk hunt in CO >

'08 first DIY archery elk hunt in CO

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

'08 first DIY archery elk hunt in CO

Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Spike

Default '08 first DIY archery elk hunt in CO

Next year my brother, friend and I are going to go on our first DIY archery elk hunt in southwest CO. We are going to purchase OTC tags and probably hunt the second week in September. We are starting to prepare and are asking for advice on our hunt. Just using our feet and backpacks (no horses). We have researched the CO state wildlife site and have looked at Google Eartha lot. Would any experienced elk hunters help us, specifically,on where to go?

Thoughts about Stoner? Durango? Silverton?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: '08 first DIY archery elk hunt in CO

I don't have any specifics on that area but if you're planning a wilderness hunt, that's a great area with the Wiemunuche wilderness area. You're starting off on the right foot by starting your research this early. The internet has a ton of information. Check out the Colorado DOW site as well, http://wildlife.state.co.us/, they have some terrific maps available that will let you know where the elk herds spend the summer and winter months, http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm. Best advice I can give is get in the best shape of your life!! It can and most certainly will be a gruelling experience.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Get in touch with the regional DOW office for the area you are interested in .....call and talk to them. They have a wealth of info, but you have to make the call.

Make a camping/hunting plan and make it simple .....including the ability to change as the weather/conditions change. It's not rocket science and if you be adventerous and hearty souls....then you will have a blast! No matter what happens. If not, then you won't have to worry about fixing your perceived mistakes, you won't go back.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try planing the trip a little later then the 2 nd week. The Elk usually rut around mid to late September. It helps when they are bugling. I went this year from 9/14 to 9/19. We had elk bugling the whole time but would not come in. The first 1 I got to come in was on the 18th. Just to give you a timeline. Practice with your bow andbe profiecent out to atleat 50 yards.My only shot was at 57 yards and I missed (Broadhead failure).GET INTO SHAPE. lots of hiking.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Spike

Thanks for all of the replies!

Looks like redRiver and I our neighbors. I live a quarter mile north of the red river off of Hwy 75.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Just send me an email if you have any questions....about camping and hunting in general....been doing both all of our lives. Specifically about Elk hunting.....not so much. Killed a few and made some mistakes.
But that is the fun of it!!!

Hunt in pairs during Archery. Everyone knows that ...but still doesn't always happen.
This year was our first Archery campaign. Last day...last afternoon. One of my buds and me split up so we could cover more ground. I set up on a wallow I had found years before. Long story short....bugled one in on top of me!!! Never got a shot. But wouldn't trade anything for that experience. As a lifelong hunter, I have never been shaking so bad in my life, while continually saying to myself "now what do I do"!!!!
Pure ecstasy!!!! It don't get any better than that!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM

This is an outfitter I hunted with a3 years ago. www.themangus5.com
Really nice and knowledgeable family. While I didn't get a elk I did have the op to shoot -I was just too slow. They hunt in area 74 & 75. I'm sure the can make any arrangements to fit your needs. Call them they are their to help. Even if it's just to get your ELK out!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting in a group is highly recommended since it usually takes a couple of people blowing the cow calls and bugle and have them set up 50 to 100 yards behind you so that you are out ahead of where the calling is coming from and inline to make the shot on the bull. We usually draw lots to see who gets first shot then work it from there. I just watched the Primo’s Truth & video last night and they were hunting in SW CO and MT and using the same setup I just mentioned. If you can get your hands on the video it will give you an idea on who, what, when, where and how of going about your hunt. I have hunted the Durango area for the last 4 years and the wilderness area is very good for getting away from the every day hunter in the area. It takes hard work and lots of planning/research to make the trip work. Look into outfitters who can take you into an area and pack out your animals after you are successful...it doesn't have to be a fully guided hunt but a drop camp. You tell them where you want to hunt and they get you there and back. Good luck...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 AM

I have hunted Stoner all of my life. It is a nice place to hunt, but can be extremely hit or miss with the elk. We hunted the muzzleloader season this year and were on elk everyday, I took a nice 6x6.But, we also talked with a lot of other hunters that had trouble finding much. It is an area that you have to willing to go into the deep rough stuff to find them most years. Let me know if you want specifics of the area.

elkhunter004
Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Spike

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=13&X=1267&Y= 20877&W=3&qs=%7cdurango%7c This is a link to the website I use for scouting. It gives you much more detail than the Google Earth does. G.E. is cool the way you can rotate around and get different views but I get much more detail with this. Also any views you get DO NOT begin to reveal how rugged this land is, after looking on Google Earth and many other sites I thought I had this terrain all figured out, WRONG !!!!! There is alot of STEEPand DEEP in this area.I hunt between Durango and Silverton myself.
As mentioned you do want to hunt as a group instead of every man for himself. Finding a guide service to pack you in is nice but if you are in good shape you can pack in on your own, the hard part is if you get an animal down you have to have a plan on what to do with it. How do you get it out, where do you get it cut up at. If it is something you want mounted do you know how to cape it, if not you have to pack the head and cape at least 6" past the shoulder. I could go on for hours !!!! If you need more help PM me.
Good Luck Dave

Quick Reply: '08 first DIY archery elk hunt in CO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.