Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Stolen Elk

Old 11-06-2007, 09:03 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stolen Elk

"....Posting for a friend of mine. He shot a Bull Elk on Friday the 26th of October in North Central Colorado. They skinned and hung it at there camp. They went back out to see if they could get his buddy an elk and when they came back the Elk had been stolen...."
"....It was pretty easy for whomever did it, they just backed there truck up to the tree it was hanging in and cut the rope...."
It is a less than perfect world that we live in....

Though I enjoy talking to hunters on the trail and at the trail head when we are packing our elk out,we shift gears as we head on outfor our camp and become more secretive....

(1) We cut off the road well before we get near camp and work our way intoour camp from the backside.

(2) We hangour elk quartersin the heavily shaded section of the trees behind camp where it iscool/cold and also out of sight. Our meat is quartered which makes it more easy to put them in "out of the way places." [For the stolen elk to be whole, they must haveused a pickup to deliver it into camp, easy in, easy out.]

(3) We keep heads and racksdiscretely out of sight also.

Note: As an aside, we also keep our horses on high lines back in the trees and largely out of sight as well.

The only time passersby know we have gotten into the elk is when we butcher and there is this pile of leg bones growing outside the front door of the wall tent as we work our way through them.

Sorry to hear about the theft, yet sounds like some discretionmight haveproven beneficial.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you need help posting the pic lemme know I can help, even host it if need be.

That's just so low. Maybe a good wakeup call for us all to bring a cable lock with you. I saw a decent 4pt bull in the back of a truck one year elk hunting, and they were smart enough to cable lock him to the truck's bed tie downs. Smart move, and a good idea considering what some people will do to steal a nice bull.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a buddy who was picking up dogs on a hard surface road and he was maybe 100 yards away from his truck. He has a buck in the back that was big enough that the horns stuck above the bed. Two guys in another truck pulled up and took the deer out of his truck and put it in theirs. The idiots left the tag on the horns and when they went to check it in themselves the lady at the checkin station heard from the warden of the situation and they were arrested. One for the good guys!!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Allen Denton

I had a buddy who was picking up dogs on a hard surface road and he was maybe 100 yards away from his truck. He has a buck in the back that was big enough that the horns stuck above the bed. Two guys in another truck pulled up and took the deer out of his truck and put it in theirs. The idiots left the tag on the horns and when they went to check it in themselves the lady at the checkin station heard from the warden of the situation and they were arrested. One for the good guys!!
I love it when a plan comes together. How stupid werer they to not only take the elk but to leave the tag on it. Idiots...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Spike

Upload your pic to photobucket.com then click the resize button for the forums option, then copy the URL img to here.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....I love it when a plan comes together. How stupid werer they to not only take the elk but to leave the tag on it. Idiots...
????

Ahhh..... it was a buck, as in a deer type critter, not an elk.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

run one of those kryptonite locks interlacing/circumferencing ones ribcage.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM

That's just wrong. Sorry for your loss. I pray that they are caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law...and then some.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

If i saw someone doing that i might just have to fire a shot that wizzes right by them
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

This type of behavior absolutely amazes me. I don't think I'll ever not be shocked to hear something like that, no matter how many times it happens.

You know, every year there are multiple arrests of persons poaching elk from Yellowstone National Park (which I live 5 miles from). I have to shake my head guys? How could you be so wrapped up in trophy/killing success that you would be willing to do such a thing. To steal and animal from another camp, a truck, or invade the confines of a National Park?

Anyone who would take part in such activities probably carries this same "the ends is justified by the means" philosophy to every aspect of their lives. I.E. they are pretty much total scum, crank snorting freaks, and deserve nothing less than God's full wrath on judgement day.

Quick Reply: Stolen Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.