Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting

Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: elk hunting

For me, it's the overall experience of planning, scouring maps, hiking hills in preparation, getting the gear ready, the trip out there, the anticipation of that first day in the woods, hearing that first bugle or seeing that first elk, and everything else that goes with it. That elk hunt you see on the outdoor channel probably won't be the same as what you experience unless you pay money for an outfitter. There is alot that goes intoit and it can be alot of work. Anyone on here who has hunted elk with tell you that it can be physically demanding as the farther back in you go (On foot) the further you have to haul one out. I've heard storie of people taking several days to get an elk out of some areas but have yet to experience that pain!! I've hunted with people on their first and last hunts as they have never gone back again as it was just too much work and they didn't see many elk. Everyone has their own definitions of a successful hunt and killing an elk is the only one then most will probably be disappointed. There are some that kill elk every time they hit the woods but I'm not one of them.

Figure out how you want to hunt first...bow, muzzleloader, or rifle.Wheredo you want to hunt? Do you want to hunt next year? If you have a few years before you want to go then you might want to start putting in for points now. For example, if you want to hunt a draw area in Colorado you could check www.huntodds.com toget somewhat of an idea of how many years it will take to drawthe tag you are looking for. Thatway, you can start putting in for it and then draw in 2, 3, 4, or however many years. This all depends upon which state you want to hunt in as they all have somewhat different systems for the tags they offer. Just figure out where you want to go and start there. I'm done rambling....
Old 10-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Spike

RockinGlock,

The later the better. I'm a local (live in the CO mountains and hunt withing 5 to 50 miles of home) and I take my archery serious the last week of the season. Before that just smell it out on the weekends.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Actually the rut doesn't always stop by the 2nd week of october, I've seen bulls trying to mount cows the 2nd week of nov. Any cows that weren't bred in the first go around will come back into estrous about 2 to 4 weeks later.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 PM

I didn't get one this year, but had a blast. Lot's of work, but could be one of the best vacations I have had.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 PM

i wonderful experience i would say next to mont. goats and big horn sheep some of the hardest game to hunt plus bag if you get the chance it would be worth every penny

Ozark