Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wall Tent Recommendations

Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Spike

Default Wall Tent Recommendations

I wasn't sure where this post should go, so figure I'd start somewhere where a wall tent would likely be used...

I'd like to pick up a wall tent in anticipation for some DIY hunts in CO next year. That being said, I have a few questions I'm hoping those w/ some outfitter tent experience could help answer:

1. There will likely be at most 4 people (most likely 2-3). What size tent would work best? I'm sure a bigger tent would provide more flexibility and room, but weight is an issue. We probably won't have access to pack horses, so we may have to pack in the tent on our own.

2.What are thedifferences between internal frames and poles (e.g. external pole set) in terms of durability, setup time, standing up to bad weather, etc?

3. Any good mfg recommendations? Just wondering what people have used in the past and how it panned out.

4. Other things to look out for or consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wall Tent Recommendations

Any size wall tent will be a load to pack in on your back?
The ones with the "relite" sides are lighter, but I have never been around one.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Spike

Probably wouldn't pack on our backs. We've built some "gear carts" that have served us over the years for hauling out wood and other heavier loads in more remote areas. Not quite as nice and comfy as a pack horse, but works well enough even on crappy terrain w/ heavy loads. Just gotta burn more calories and spend a bit more time in the process. I don't think we'll venture too far off driveable areas either, but regardless, trying to find that balance between weight and space. I've heard from some people that 4 people can fit in a 10X12 w/out a stove comfortably and others that say 12X14 is the minimum for 3 people regardless of stove. Guess it eventually comes down to personal preferences, but hoping to hear from those that actually experience it.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Spike

Well, after doing a bunch of research on this, I think I answered my own questions. Thx RedRiver for your input.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM

I have a10x12, used it for going on 15 years. THree is max. 4' side walls, easier to heat, I hunt Nov. Storm flap and sod cloth a must. Also a rain fly over all of it is nice to.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Davis tent here in Denver makes the best wall tent on the market.(You can search them on the web) but I would recommend a diffrent style as it was much lighter. These are the one we use and they are worth every penny. We had ours in WY a few weeks back in 60 mph winds and it worked awesome! It is easy to set up would sleep 4 on cots but would be tight 3 would be perfect. We have the 12x12 and an 8x8. The 12 footer sleeps two on cots and room enough for a card table for cooking and relaxing in the opposite corner. It is the perfect design IMO for the snow and weather. A mighty good tent for 300 hundred bucks! The only down side is the zipper catch on the storm flap. It takes a bit to get used too but if you take your time, It's nothing to get past. As with any tent there is always a "pain in that arse", Thats this ones quark.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0003770514192a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=outback+lodge&N=488 7&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1 &Ntt=outback+lodge&noImage=0
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the tents on www.walltentshop.com You can save a bunch of money on a tent. We set-up a 16'x20' this year, from this place. I will buy myself a 16'x20' before next season from this outfit.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Spike

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

We use a couple of the wall tents with frames made from square tubing. No need to tie them down with our frame system. But then again we have our camp in a vehicle accessible zone.
Just up to you the amount of work you are willing to do to be comfortable? We happen to love the camping in the Rockies about as much as the hunting so are willing to go the extra step or two or ten!!!
I am embarrassed/ashamed sometimes of the conveniences we have. But then again we don't mind the work involved in setting it up and taking it down. For instance, a nice hot, running water shower is a little work to pull off at 10,000 ft., but sure does feel nice!!!
We have wood burning stoves in all tents. (12x17, 16x20 wall tents; 12x20 cookshack that is homemade out of "heavy tarpuline" material with windows). Didn't use the stoves too much this year during our first Archery foray!!!
Just takes a little more to go first class......my grandaddy always said!

Key is to enjoy yourself and have fun! For some that is popup camper with camp ready in 30 minutes. Others prefer carrying their camp on their backs and "roughing" it! To each his own.
For us, it's the little things.....like cooking 2lbsof bacon, 2lbs of sausage on the propane griddle at the same time while sliding a couple dozen biscuits in the oven and cooking eggs to orderon the apartment size propane stove!
Would you please pass the gravy!!!!
Damn I love the mountains!!!