Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Adjusting Rifle Sling?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Adjusting Rifle Sling?

This might sound silly, but I've never used a sling for my rifle before. I bought a Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum sling at the suggestion of a friend who is a big time elk hunter and put it on my rifle but I just can't seem to get it adjusted to fit very well.

I'm 6'3" and 220lbs with a pretty large frame (46" chest) so I'm not sure if that is the problem or not (my friend is pretty small). I've adjusted the top strap up and down (you can only adjust it a couple inches) and adjusted the bottom also but nothing seems to "fit", and that is with just a regular shirt on and I will probably be wearing a coat or at least a few layers of shirts when I'll be using the sling.

If I adjust it too long the butt of the rifle swings out from behind my back and if I adjust it too short the rifle digs into my back. I can get it to where it stays on but I can't get it to where it actually feels like a backpack or something like that would. Is this something that I should have bought months ago and got it "worn in"?

Does anyone have any tips on getting a sling adjusted to where it feels good?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Adjusting Rifle Sling?

I think you probably answered you own questions with your first comment.......you have never used a sling before. Size doesn't matter that much unless you carry it across your chest and back. Just slinging it on the shoulder, that sling should be fine. I am larger than you and it works for me. Personally, I prefer the "Claw" slings as they bite a little better to the clothing and don't slip off as easily. I assume you carry your rifle barrel up on your shoulder? Try it barrel down. I think this position always feels more comfortable.
But you don't have to "break it" in.......more like you have to break "you in"! You will get used to it.