Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

12 Gauge Slug on Elk?

Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Default 12 Gauge Slug on Elk?

Today was this first day of the any legal weapon bull elk hunt in Utah. Cold, shifty winds, snow. Managed to call in a Moose within 30 feet, but no Elk! Running a .300 Winchester Mag. 0 at 200 yds. Hunting in pretty tight spots, very narrow, steep canyons. It's great. But it got me thinking about next years' hunt already.Will probably not take a shot over 125 yards. Anyone use a slug on an elk with a 12 G?

My biggest concern is that I am going to torture the creature, and that's why I use my .300 WM. Not worried about aim up to about 100-125 yds. as I will likely have to shoot at this distance to achieve success anyway, right now.

Good luck on the hunt everyone and be safe!Saw several people pucker out just hiking today, altitude and inclines can be killers. Got a few pics, but will wait to postuntil there's an elk!

Utah
Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 12 Gauge Slug on Elk?

Here's a photo of nephew with a big cow elk in a cow hunt that allowed short range weapons only. The shot was 40 yds but he was accurate to 100yds during his practice sessions, I'm sure 125yds is not out of the question for a 12 gauge slug, it had a rifled barrel. I'll also add it dropped that cow in her tracks with a shot just behind the shoulder as you can see if you look for it!

ElkNut1

Old 10-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

A 12 gauge slug is going to do alot more then that 300 wm will even think about out to about 100 yards. I have often thought about getting a slug barrel for one of my pumps. Then when it gets thick, I got the firepower to dump 'em quick. IMO They don't make a better brush gun.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 AM

I had this exact same thought on Saturday sitting in the truck up parleys canyon. I just bought a 20 gauge 11-87 for a white tail hunt in Idaho later this month and was wondering about using it for elk in the thick brush/timber. It has a rifled barrel, and Leupold 2x7 scope. It’s a blast to shoot and I have shooting 1 1/2 groups at 75 yds. An other thought is a lever action in 44 mag,
Old 10-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Your nephew's a deadshot with the slug elknut1. I imagine the slug went in and out at that distance didn't it?

Elknuts. I know at 100 yards I am looking at nearly a clean, almost no expansion through and through. Didn't want the shotgun taking a chunk out and have the tracking go onto private property. This is good to know.

Starhunter, were you up east canyon? I am getting skunked on my bull and will likely need to go above Kamas. If you haven't achieved success on your deer, let me know. I have a few good spots I can give you. I flushed 3 bucks today, just can't seem to get a bull.

It stinks when you know where your quarry is and can't do anything about it because it's owned by 2 jackasses.

Tim
Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I shot and killed 3 blacktails with a 12 gauge rifled slug all within under 100 yards, the "shock and awe" of it allmowed e'm right over in they're tracks, andduring that time periodit was theonly gun i could afford at the time and i still carry it along as my backup gun.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

tbrunson--The slug did not go through the elk. It was stuck on the offside in the hide, it mushroomed beautifully though. He was using a powerbelt at the time! It sure put the thwack on her for sure!

ElkNut1
Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

12 gauge slug will take anything that walks this earth
Old 10-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

12 gauge slug will take anything that walks in North America and possibly on this earth.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

12 gauge slug will take anything that walks this earth
AMEN !!!

Quick Reply: 12 Gauge Slug on Elk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.