Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Speed goat pics

Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default Speed goat pics

Hey guys - just got back from our antelope hunt out west. Got a buck, although not a huge one. Didn't even get him measured, but I'm guessing around 11-12 inches. It was fun, though, because I had to crawl over 400 yards to get into position to shoot him. I was shooting a Ruger 77 mk II 7mm WSM with a Bushnell 42006-24x40.

On our last day, I got to crawl -again-for what seemed like forever to get in place to shoot a doe with my Win. 94 30-30. I have to say; those Hornady LeveRevolution shellsare UNBELIEVABLE!! At 200 yards it left a hole the size of a quarter on the entrance side and one the size of a golf ball on the way out.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Speed goat pics

2nd pic....

Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Yah most of the time guys do have to do alot of crawling to get into position but thats part of antelope hunting and its half the fun i think. Congrats on a nice buck. Got any pics of your doe?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM

Nice buck. . .I just picked up a few private land tags for this weekend. Nice to know outfitters. Just wondering. . .Have not eaten speed goat before. . have eaten blackbuck from my last lease in Texas. . it was great. . . .I would guess a little more gamey? Thoughts?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

Just wondering. . .Have not eaten speed goat before. . have eaten blackbuck from my last lease in Texas. . it was great. . . .I would guess a little more gamey? Thoughts?
Antelope taste a lot like deer to me, but yet they seem to have kind of a different subtle 'extra' flavor to them that I can't really describe. It's like you're eating deer with some type of almost smokey seasoning added. (that's probably a poor description, but I can't think of any other way to put it.)

I'm not all that experienced with goats but prior to hunting them for the first time last year, I'd heard a lot of people complain about how they smell, how they taste, etc. Someone told me that the key to the taste was to make sure they got cut up and put on ice right away, instead of sitting in the truck/trailer/whatever until you got back home to process them. So that's what I did with the ones I got last year and all them we took this year, too.Theguy said that the temps are usually too warm to let them sit for awhile like you do with deer. Plus, their hides do stink so the sooner you get the meat away from that, the better, I think. So far, so good, I guess; I have no complaints over how they taste, anyway.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:26 PM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: lethalconnection

Congrats on a nice buck. Got any pics of your doe?
Thanks. I do have a couple pics of the doe, although unfortunately they aren't 'good' pics from the field.

I'll try to upload them so that they have to be viewed separately, since they're kind of bloody.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Here's a shot of the doe's inside cavity, showing how the Hornday LeveRevolution performed. Caution: it's kind of graphic.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM

CJ. . .thanks I heard the same too. . .get the skin off and on ice PDQ for best flavor. Shouldn't be a big problem. . .looks like I will be hunting this weekend in upper 30's and some rain/snow/sleet/ who knows. . . .still sounds like a great time to me. . can hardly wait.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Great pics!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM

Thats a nice sized doe u managed to bag too, nice shot too. Congrats on the double header.

Quick Reply: Speed goat pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.