Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Where to Hunt Elk?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Where to Hunt Elk?

If you had a chance to hunt elk once in your lifetime where and when would you go? I have not ever hunted elk so I am looking at a guided hunt. Don't have time to spend 2 or 3 weeks learning an area and learning animal habits etc., so I want to make the most of the week I will have. I am also looking for the total experience of a western wilderness hunt, so I would prefer a pack in horseback situation where you would most likely not see another hunter. (another reason for a guide, I don't have horses or this type of equipment)

I appreciate any advice etc as I am just beginning the information gathering process. If it takes a few years to draw that is OK as well, I will begin applying in 08.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where to Hunt Elk?

I chose to do my hunt in BC for all the reasons you mentioned. They've got a 6-point rule, so if you score, it's likely to be a nice animal.

I got hooked up with an outfitter that not only had a top notch setup, but a true love of his particular territory, and the game, and the sport.

When I got skunked last Fall in my 1st outing with them, I knew I'd be back. And when I scored a really good bull this Fall, I knew that I'd earned that critter. I took him on foot, & we went back with packhorses to the the quarters.

I'd be glad to pass on more if you're interested: PM me.

FC
Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Spike

I just got back from a wilderness hunt in the Gila Mountains of New Mexico, and it would definitely satisfy what you are looking for. You pack in on horseback about 10-15 miles, then hunt from horseback from a camp set up on a mesa.

The outfitter is Gary Webb and can be reached at 505-536-9368. He is likely on a hunt, but will call you back when he hits his home. Be advised you will loose all contact with the outside world about 1.5 hours from the drop point (unless you have satellite phone). You will not see another person when you are hunting - It's a 6 day hunt and not only did I not see/hear anyone, there was no sign anyone was within 10-15 miles of us in any direction. All inclusive (1v1) for $2900.00 (2007), plus tag fees.

You would not be disappointed - Gary hunts from before sun up until you have to make for camp - no riding those hills in the dark!
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Don't know what your financials are, I'm saving up for this place next year. Have heard nothing but good things about them.

http://www.scenicmesaranch.com/biggame.html
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Looks awesome biker joe. I didn't see bowhunting in the prices. I should have mentioned that is what I am looking to use as the weapon of choice.

Thanks to everyone the info. I am starting to create quite a library. I will have my work cut out deciding on one.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM

You've got a laundry list of choices in many fine states and provinces. First off I'll suggest that for $30 you become a member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation www.rmef.org They have done more for elk and other game species in terms of habitat preservation focused on public land hunting opportunities than any other organization. You'll get a years subscription to Bugle mag which has a couple hundred licesned Outfitters advertising in it and a lot of good elk hunting advise.

If you're looking for trophy's you probably can't go wrong with Montana, Wyoming, NM, AZ, Idaho.. I can't speak for Canada. Montana had some huge fires this year that burned well over 100,000 acres next to and in the Bob Marshell (the premier huntingwilderness in the lower 48 IMHO) so make sure to inquire about how that might affect your hunt if you choose Montana (Idaho too had some huge fires).

Go to Colorado for the highest odds on bagging and elk.. with over 250,000 head, they have twice as many elk as any other state.

Oh and don't forget to get yourself in serious cardio shape because elk hunting will likely kick your butt whether you're used to it or not!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 PM

Couldn't agree more with gtousey. I, too, just got back from the Gila Wilderness in southwest NM (Unit 16B). To say the least, the landscape is spectacular (big, big country)and the elk are trophy quality. IMO, important item to consider (especially if you are not interested in spending big money >$5,000) is the NM is a lottery draw, which allows an individual to hunt OTC and accumulate pref points in, say, Colorado - while at the same time taking ashot at the NM lottery for a $10 fee each year. Feel free to PM me for guide specifics. My party is a typical DIY elk group, however, the "primitive" status of the Gila Wilderness required packing-in. We were successful in hiring a guide on what I would classify as a hybrid hunt - where the guide packed us in and stayed with us all week (as opposed to a drop camp). Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I asked the very same questions you are about 3yrs ago. I saved, and planned my trip for that long. After alot of research online, and phone calls. I decided on Colorado, White River National Forest, flat tops with Winterhawk Outfitters. I had the best time of my life, I saw plenty of bulls. No I didn't tag one, but I came oh so close to arrowing a nice 5x6. I enjoyed myself so much I'm going back inSept. of 08'. I'm alreadly booked, and paid for. www.winterhawk.com