Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Got a nice 11 1/2 year old Dall Sheep up in the Brooks Range opening day again! Broomed both sides! >

Got a nice 11 1/2 year old Dall Sheep up in the Brooks Range opening day again! Broomed both sides!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Got a nice 11 1/2 year old Dall Sheep up in the Brooks Range opening day again! Broomed both sides!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Got a nice 11 1/2 year old Dall Sheep up in the Brooks Range opening day again! Broomed both sides!

I got a REALLY nice 11 1/2 year old Ram (Dall Sheep) up in the Brooks Range opening dayagain this year! LESS than 30 yards away this time with my .35! Couldn't have ASKED for a better set up. Right above him in the rocks while he was feeding! I had allthe time in the world to watch and photograph him before hand! Had dropped my rifle and screwed up my scope hiking in.(6milesoff the Dalton Highway in5-6K mountains) and had to waste threebullets sighting my rifle back in at 100 yards.Only had afew bullets left, so I wasn't going to shoot anything very far away on this trip! (Didn't want to hike back out just to go get more bullets! Wish I had brought my bow up with me this year! Could gave gotten this Ram with my bow EASY! Also had the opportunity tosneak up on a pack of sleeping WHITE WOLVES on this trip!From a distance theyalmost lookedlike caribou they were so big! Got KILLER photographs of them both sleeping as well as running off once I was busted! Once again!If I had only hadmy bow with me! They werewithinthe 5 milerestricted bow hunting only area! Last year whenIHAD my bow with me(as well as my rifle). I ended up takingan 11 1/2 year old Ramon the second day of the season(also broomed on both sides!)from365 yards away with my .35 Whelan.One shot. (He was sleeping, no wind, perfect rest)and THEN over the next few days, I had three seperate opportunities where I COULD have taken alegal ram from LESSTHAN 30 yards away! ONE OF THESE DAYS I'm just gonna decide tobring ONLY my bowDamn it!... but I KNOW it would justkillme to run into a REALLY BIG OLD RAM and have itbe "just out of range" the whole time! I like having the bow with me though... Could have taken two of the 4 wolves EASY! (While they were sleeping even!) Once again...Perfect set up. Wind from them to me... back bone ridge going down to them,so plenty of rock cover to get up on them easily without them ever seeing me. Enough plant material to walk quietly one,keeping off the shale! A PERFECT STALK!... Well... at least I have pictures of them! It was by far... one of the best stalks I've ever made onANY animal! Didn't think it was POSSIBLE to sneak up on a PACK OF SLEEPING WOLVES like that! THAT"S what hunting is all about! Those once in a lifetime memories!...It is very exciting and fun to be in close proximity toanimals that "if they WANTED to"... would be perfectly capable of takingYOU out! I was actually very surprised at just how close I actuallyDID get to them, before they could start hearing the little clicking noise from my camera! Sheep hunting country!The most spectacular scenery in the world! Grizzlies all over the place! Ermine running up and grabbingscraps of meat that your flinging over your shoulder whilefleshing out the skull! Wolverines! Ptarmagine everywhere!Traveling light! Sleeping out under the stars! Spectacular mountains!and nothing man made for as far as you can see! ONLY in ALASKA! Wendy

Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got a nice 11 1/2 year old Dall Sheep up in the Brooks Range opening day again! Broomed both sides!

Great hunt. Great story. Sounds Awesome!!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got a nice 11 1/2 year old Dall Sheep up in the Brooks Range opening day again! Broomed both sides!

Awesome Trophy and great story!...........Congrat's
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 PM

Great Story but I don't see a picture of the Ram.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

You are living the dream...enjoy.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Great Ram.........................congrats and thanks for sharing
Old 09-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Kodiak Guide

Great Story but I don't see a picture of the Ram.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Congrats,nice ram