Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 First Archery Attempt..... >

First Archery Attempt.....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Archery Attempt.....

Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Archery Attempt.....

ended with no elk taken....but many fond memories and some experience gained.

I thought I had experienced elk hunting during our last 5 years of rifle hunting. I thought killing my first bull last year was my pinnacle,but calling my first bull to within 25 yards had me shaking like a weenie dog trying to pass a peach seed! In the end I didn't get the shot, but I would not have traded the experience for anything.Idid learn the hard way that in the world of "calling them in", it takes two to make it work. Not that we didn't already know it, but experience is hard reminder.

For those that are interested in such and have read past posts about our tendency to bring the comforts of home to the Rockies, we added a new canvas tent this year (16x20) and actually took a few pics of the setup process. So when I get them all downloaded I will post a few. September is a nicer month for camping as we used little wood and never lit the stove in the new sleep tent. The other sleep tent, heretofore known as the "snorers" tent, did have a couple of fires but spent significant time sleeping on top of their bags!!!! Only had a ice on things a couple of mornings!

All in all, great time was had by all. Now time to get those elknut dvd's out that my brother ordered and start doing some practicing, only have around 360 days before season starts!!!

Good luck to those going here in the next few weeks!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Archery Attempt.....

Great story!
I remember my first few times in elk country. The sound of a Screaming bull in the timber is matched by nothing. And when they come to your calling, man, what a slice of heaven! The experiences i have acquired over the last 15 years of elk hunting will truly be the "Best days" of my life! Many a nights dreaming of Bugling Bulls. Military kept me from hunting elk this year. Next year I will be beating the same brush as Elknut himself. 343 days left!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

When that Bull answered my pitiful bugle the first time........
thought is was a buddy of mine in the far off distance. Second time he answered, much closer and the gutteral sounds on the end made me pause and say "that aint' no call"!!! Each successive answer to my high pitched wail was met with either a bugle and gut chuckle, or just the gut version. Sounded more like a Brahma Bull to this Texas boy! Closed ground on me and then circled me to get downwind. Kept coming until one of my adolescent bugles was met with thrashing. To which I made my own, but with the wimpiness I felt was needed. In deer country we always try to sound as wimpy as possible so that the one coming in thinks he is "fixing" for an easy fight! Started up to the wallow I was sitting by and when he reached 40 yards and I realized that I had no way by that time to draw we were now both in the clear and nothing for me to hide behind. I got so caught up in the exchange, it didn't dawn on me until too late that I was also going to have to shoot him!!!
Did I mention that during the 20 minutes that this all took place, I must have said to myself "what the he!! do I do now" at least a dozen times. I got back to the road out after dark and upon reflection, and just prior to my buddy's arrival from the other direction, I puked my guts empty. Elation and sadness have never been felt in such volume and so equally!!! I could only mutter to him that I would have given every dime I owned if we had hunted together that afternoon like we had most of the week!!! Live and learn!

But man what a rush.....I see that bull every night when I close my eyes..........
and wouldn't have it any other way!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Great story, I also called in my first bull this year and like you didn't bring home the bacon, so-to-speak, but what a thrill! Can't wait till next year!