Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

South San Juan Wilderness

Old 09-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Default South San Juan Wilderness

I've thrown this question out there before with no response, so I thought I would check see if someone may have an answer for me now. I'm thinking about an 08' bow hunt to the South San Juan. Anyone ever been there, hunted it? Any info appreciated.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: South San Juan Wilderness

If you're referring to the San Juan Forest in Colorado, check out GMUResearch.com. They have compiled more info on Col. than any site I've found. They also have a forum and are very helpful in answering your questions.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM

Well the South San Juan is a wilderness area within the San Juan Mts. Iv'e got the stats from the Dow, have seen a few pictures, but w/o going there myself, it's difficult to understand what an area is like. I'm looking for terraine types, best access areas, places to avoid etc.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

For me, planning a hunt like this is part of the fun!Figuring out how to access the area, studying topo maps to get a mental picture of the terrain and figuring out the areas that may hold elk. All of this information is readily accessible on the net. How are you planning on accessing this vast area and how do you plan on getting the meat out? I've been to a portion of this area and it can be very intimidating! Give us some more information, maybe we can help.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 PM

I plan on hoofing it in on foot and hunting out of a backpack with my 3 bro's. What we did once before when we got an elk was to quarter it out and hiked it back to the truck. Then we put it in a homemade cooler full of ice. Where have you been in the South SAn Juan? I'm torn between there and the Weminuche. PLEASE give details of your trip.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

as moeggs, i'm going elk hunting in the san juan forest around the piedra river area in october. After looking at the San juan forest map i noticed the south san juan wilderness area is to the far eastern part of the forest. Is this where youare going? I agree whole-heartedly with hunter 59, half the fun is doing the research. Have you used google earth before? It is a great way to see what an area looks like from above and you can get an idea of the elevation too. Also call the san juan forest people in Durango as i did, they are very helpful.