Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

West Elk Wilderness, CO

Old 08-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Spike

Default West Elk Wilderness, CO

I've been scoping this one out but the wilderness boundaries have been difficult to locate. Could anyone direct me to a southern entrance to this one? I've been looking at Cr-859 and Cr-727. Are the elk very vocal in this area?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 AM

Default RE: West Elk Wilderness, CO

What GMU is that in? I rely heavily on what my Huntin' Fool magazine tells me about these things. I can see what it says about that unit for you.

p.s. A little off topic but I am thinking about going to graduate school at Auburn. I visite the campus there a couple of years ago and thought it was really cool.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM

We have hunted this area for about 12 yrs during archery season and have had pretty good luck. Hunted once during rifle season and it was covered up with blaze orange. We always come in from the Blue Mesa lake area, up past the X lazy F ranch on up to the wilderness area. Last year the road up high was in bad shape due to timber harvest and rain but you can make it with 4x4. Nice place to hunt during archery season, lots of game.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Spike

bubbabuckmasher,
The area is in Unit 54 just north of Gunnison. As for Auburn, it is a great town and a great school. If you do decide to enroll there and are looking for a place to hunt, let me know.

bucked off,
Thanks for the info. I will be there in archery towards the end of the opening week. I've been very successful in unit 62 in the past but the hunting pressure continues to climb and the bulls have never been very vocal. Typically, after about three days we struggle to see an elk. I'm hoping to find an area where the bulls are vocal even if that means the average size is down.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where is Auburn?

FL, CO?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 AM

Younggun, your from Tennessee you know where Auburn is...lol... They are the folks from eastern AL that the Vols can't seem to ever beat.

War Eagle, I left my Huntin' Fool magazine at the house I'll get back to you on that this afternoon.