Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Silent bulls

Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Silent bulls

So archery season has started up here in washington and I'm dealing with some silent bulls.. I'm in an area with so much elk sign it's not funny.. Rubs, tracks, trails, and poop EVERYWHERE. However they won't bugle, I dont think they are rutting very hard yet and the bugles that we hear are just social ones. My question is how do I hunt these bulls. I'm new to archery so I'm not used to hunting the pre-rut. I think the Elk are fairly nomadic right now so they might just not be in this certain area, and could show up sometime later on. Anyways thanks for the tips in advance fellas.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Silent bulls

Clinty, the bulls here in southern OR are usually silent. Mostly I think from guys running around on quads bugleing at every stop. I even heard one this year that was cow calling as he was riding his quad down the trail.

What seems to work for me is to get into an area with a large concentration of elk, get set up and cow call. Usually some lost cow calls mixed with some estreus calls mixed in. Definately use some type of cover scent because they will almost always circle down wind to check things out first.

Listen for other signs that a bull is in the area. Last year we had a 5x6 that wouldnt make a sound other than raking the trees with his antlers. That bull was shot at 6 yards and believe it or not he got inside 25 yards before we even knew he was there.

I have never tried a ground blind for elk but I would assume that it would work, being as dry and noisy as it is this year I actually used a tree stand and took a cow on the last day that I was able to hunt.

Good luck and I know silent bulls are tough but it can be done.

Bill
Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you hunting Rockies or Rosies? Last year was my first year hunting Rosies out on the O.P. Forks area. I noticed the elk did not bugle as much as the Rockies I am custom to in Idaho. However, once you get in close... That is a whole new ball game. The bull I shot last year didn't make a peep until I was inside his "Comfort" zone. Then he went crazy!
Rockies on the other hand, I usually hear them more frequently. Especially the Satelite bulls. Just remember no matter what elk species you are hunting. This time a year stick to the deep dark moist places.. Like Rogue stated. A blind or treestand over a known water source is also a very productive means to hunt elk!
Good luck, I have heard of a few buddies killing Rosies out near forks, so hang in there. And don't abuse your bugle. Cow call!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM

I'm hunting rockies, right on the washington idaho border basically.. I had two going this morning at the same spot.. didn't even hafta bugle to them. I know they werent hunters because it is almost impossible to get in there right now, and in the night there is no way for a hunter to get in there.. One sounded like a really nice bull while the other was a little younger.. Good thing im young and dumb, I'm going after them tomorrow.. They are VERY vocal. Alright wish me luck guys.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Where are you at on the line? North of Spokane or south? How far? We went out Saturday and didn't hear a thing. I told my hunting partner that they were probably still up high since it is still warm. He drove up the hill Sunday and said he saw a lot of sign higher up.

Lookin for elk
Reid
Old 09-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

What Rogue said. I'm in Wyoming, but even in areas where bulls talk, sitting and calling and waiting can really pay off. For every bull that is talking, there are probably a dozen or two that aren't. Try to set up to discourage them from coming in from downwind and stay put for an hour or more if you think elk are in the area. They are curious and will often come in eventually to see the source of the racket. Sit tight, sit still, and watch. It is amazing how quietly something that size can come in.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Hey WARedBear, I'm north of Spokane. I met a couple guys from spokane today on my way down and had a nice bull**** section with them and did what I could to point them toward some elk. I'm in the Ione/Metaline/Metaline falls area. I called for 30 minutes sprayed cow estrus urine and they didn't budge. There is a creek at the bottom of the drainage and it's really difficult to get through on foot. It would be easier for them, but damn I couldtotally understand them not coming haha. I think I got there a little late because there were tracks on a road and I'm pretty sure they came down on the side I was on which would make it even better. I've hunted my entire life and have NEVER been in such rugged country EVER. I couldn't go without grabbing onto a tree or something to pull myself up. I'm 19 years old and in really good shape/athletic and I was about dying haha.You better believe I will be back on these bulls in the AM, hopefully using a differen route though