Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Question

Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bear Question

I was watching a bearbait last night and when I noticed a bear coming down an old road about 75 yds away. As soon as I seen him he hopped into some thicker cover and never did come to the bait. My question was if he seen me or smelled me do you think that I may have bumped him out of the area or do you think he will turn nocturnal? He has been coming in pretty early, and hitting everyday.I dont think he seen me since I had pretty goodcoverand I was ina stand about 15 ft high,but he did come in from slightly downwind.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear Question

Bears will circle the bait to come in down wind. We used to have a huge black bear that would spend an hour circling us. We would see him poke his head through the bushes to look into the stand to see if we were there. He always made it to the bait right at dusk. Sometimes a bear will get on a feeding circle. They might travel miles go from feeding site to feeding site. The idea is to give them enough bait to keep them in the area. As with any game....it is hit and miss...hopefully in just seeing them and not when you shoot.

Reid
Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear Question

He did come back in and hit the bait after I left so I am going to give him a couple days before I hunt again. I have moved my stand to some thicker cover also.