Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear question...

Old 06-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Bear question...

Got a question for all u bear hunters. I live in WV and have never killed a bear. Last year I had a bear coming in and destroying my deer feeders and he is back this year. Ive decided to try and kill it. We are not allowed to use feeders for bear. So do u guys have any ideas how I could get him. Have lots of pictures of him at my feeder but there all at night. its really rough back on the ridge but there is a lot of country to hunt. Any ideas/advice is appreciated. Thanks.. One other thing we can use dogs but would rather not use them.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:45 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bear question...

Gun or bow?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Bow...
Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Set up a long ways from the feeder and from the direction he's coming from. He's heading to that feeeder sometime in the light. He may get to the feeder at night but he's traveling during the day hours on his way there. By doing it like this, it wouldn't be considered baiting I don't think.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

bears are free loaders ,if the bear season is closed in your section DON'T KILL IT ..stop feeding or remove your feeder for 1 month he will go someplace else and find anouther feeder ..we have a lot of bears were we deer hunt ,in october we start to feed the deer with apples and sometimes carrots ,we never put all of the apples in one place but throw them all over the place all around our tree stand in a 50 ft. radius ..it helps sometimes ,and when it get's out of hand well than in my hunting place deer and bear season opens on the same day ..good-by mister bear!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 PM

Bear s3eason isnt closed in my section, I wouldnt kill it if it was. Had a few people tell me get a pop can full of honey and take some kind of heating device like a small propane heater and heat it up. Just what I've heard, not done a lot of bear hunting but I might give it a try, if I could find one of those coffee mug warmers that run on batteries.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I think you need to really heat it up so it smokes, basically cooking it.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try anise and or vanilla extract.... mixin spray bottle w/ H2O and a little oil to make it last and stick to leaves better. Then spray everything you can... ferns, trees, leaves, logs, etc... the smell should bring him in.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Fork Horn

I also live and hunt in WV. I hunt in one of the 4 bow only counties and the bears are taking over everything!!! I've had feeders, cameras, and treestands tore to shreds!! Vanilla extract works wonders!! I had a buddy kill a huge bear in Mercer county with a spray bottle full of vanilla
Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its legal, cook some bear crack. Mix marshmallows with raspberry jello and get it smoking over a propane heating device. Just make sure you dont eat any, it smells WAAAAAYYYYY good... Just make sure that you are within the laws...

Quick Reply: Bear question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.