Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado elk hunt ?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Colorado elk hunt ?

I am organizing an archery elk hunt that is to take place in a couple weeks in the northwestern part of colorado but since this is my first out of state hunt i have a few questions. Can 4-wheelers be used on BLM land? In my home state of Wisconsin you can buy a tag and kill a deer anywhere in the state, but from the info i gathered it doesnt look like it is that way in CO, I was just wondering if that is true. Any other info that could help out a rookie elk hunter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 PM

Default RE: Colorado elk hunt ?

We have a new Whitetail & Blackbear Hunting Outfitters on Manitoulin Island in Ontario, Canada. Please visit our website at www.youngshighrockoutfitters.piczo.com . Any questions or comments are welcomed.

Thanks;

GREG YOUNG
Young's High Rock Outfitters

Old 08-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are doing a elk hunt in Colorado in a couple of weeks and you don't even know what units you can hunt in, you better get on the stick. My achery tag is state wide except for Ltd units, I would think yours is the same, unless out of state is different.Atv's are allowed in the blm where we hunt, but all areas are different. You need to google DOW Colorado check out our web site. There are plenty of phone numbers for you to call. If you're the organizer, you are way behind, and you could look kind of foolish if you don't do a lot of work fast. If you cannot find the help you need, give me a call and I will hook you up with someone who can answer all of your questions. You should be fine with just calling our DOW, they go above and beyond when you need help. They will also go above and beyond if they catch you hunting where you are not suppose to be or breaking any other law! Good Luck!

Later Bryan
720-404-6605
Old 08-18-2007, 02:06 PM

Just so i dont look so bad i'll tell yall the story behind this hunt. Last weekend me, my dad, and my brother were sitting around having a beer and talking about our upcoming hunt in Idaho later in the season(already planned) and about how we wouldnt be able to do it again next year. So we talked about hunting the pre-rut next year when my brother asked if we could go this year just to see what it's like. My dad was able to get off work and I just quit my job to i could go back to college in a few weeksso all of us were free so we decided to go. I am thinking of going to gmu 11 or 211, on the map it looked like there was alot of public land but at this point i could use any suggestions. Can non-residents under 17 get tags for resident price? I though i saw that somewhere but cant find it again. Thanks for your desperatly needed help.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call this number Monday morning. 303-297-1192

You can click on there web site here http://wildlife.state.co.us/

You, your dad and your brother have got some work to do if you still can get tags.

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

It'd be best to find out what unit you're wanting to go to, IIRChalf of the NW Colo units are on a draw.

I'm going to be a 1st timer next year, all I know is, everyone I've talked to has stressed it's nothing like whitetail hunting in the midwest.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Humm, first out of state hunt, planned only 2 wks in advance, no real idea where to go. Sounds like a disaster in the makings to me! I did my first out of state hunt last Sept. in Colorado, archery Elk. This was with a outfitter. I planned it for 3yrs. No way I could imagine doing it in 2wks. You have no idea what your up against. If you've never mountain hunted before you have a big awakening coming. My best advice, wait & go when you can better plan it out. Go with others that have done Do It Yourself hunts before, or setup a hunt with a Outfitter. Going in blind is a mistake!!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 PM

Ah heck, I say go for it! But, plan on it being more of a backpacking/camping trip than an actual hunt. Take your rifles in case you get lucky, but at this point, that's really what you're counting on - pure, blind luck. However, you'll get to familiarize yourself with the area, with elk country, and know what to expect later when you return better prepared.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: linvillegorge

Ah heck, I say go for it! But, plan on it being more of a backpacking/camping trip than an actual hunt. Take your rifles in case you get lucky, but at this point, that's really what you're counting on - pure, blind luck. However, you'll get to familiarize yourself with the area, with elk country, and know what to expect later when you return better prepared.
Take your rifles in case you get lucky?? You get lucky playing the lottery! You get lucky, in a bar!!! You don't get lucky in bow season with a rifle!!!

Hey dribowhuntingfool, Good luck!! I hope everything works out for you and your family!! The very worst you should do is have a blast!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanx alot guys. College starts for me in a couple weeks and like i said earlier, i quit work so I could get all my stuff taken care of (andtakea badly needed break). I felt like going on a camping trip andwas thinking about going to idaho to scout the area i would be hunting but when my brother asked about colorado i said what the heck. Im heading out tonight and when I get back ill let yall know what happened

Quick Reply: Colorado elk hunt ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.