Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Satellite Phone Question

Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Satellite Phone Question

Myson had one while withthe 101st Airborne in Mosul and Kandahar. It worked very well... at 21.00 a minute.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

We had one two weeks back in Alaska. When you call another Sat phone it is like $1.00 per minute. When you call a cell phone it runs like $11.00. I am sure that increases with the location of the cell phone.

Might want to get that information from the place you rent from.

Goatslayer........
Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 AM

YOu can also buy minutes on a plan that reduces the total cost per min down. I rented an iridium when I went to Alaska. I ordered two extra batteries so that if I needed to do some work (self employed) I could. Didn't really care about the cost of the minutes (no prepaid fees were $2.00 a minute). As it turned out I was stuck in a small town without a phone for 4 days (bad fires about 100 miles away completely covered the area and small planes wouldn't fly. I would check voice mail every 4 hrs. In doing so I found that the 3 batteries combined wouldn't last vut about 5 mins without charging. I was ticked off to say the least. Over all I think I spent about $115,$70 for the phone for two weeks (free shipping) and 45 for calls. I was able to get some work done (my billing rate easily covered the phone charges). A win, win for me.

That was about 3 years ago. I have since checked and the rates are even better. In hind site I would get it in advance (buy an extra week) testing out the batteries and replacing them if needed. They are rated like cell phone batteries, with x amount of talk time.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM

Iridiums are awesome phones. I've used mine offshore fishing all over the US and South America, and all over SE africa.

They really do the job.

It's a lot better than it was 15 years ago when you got on a Sat phone in Africa and it was $9 a minute.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the previous globalstar comments, I rented one last year on a solo selway elk hunt, thing didnt work worth a damn, I was at the very top a couple of times, had all the bars, as far as single is concerned and the dang thing would cut out after 20 seconds of conversation. The price was right, somewhere 100 bucks total for the phone and a 30 minute air time package, but what good is that if it doesnt work.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

The Iridium worked pretty well. It came w/ 2 batteries, but I turned it off when not in use, so I only used about 5/8 of 1. A few cutouts, but mostly pretty good.

After all that, however, the boys didn't want to talk most of the times I called them!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Many Thanks, Don.

I just ordered from them this morning. On the one hand, it's very pricey. On the other, more important hand, it's priceless. I'm far more concerned about my boys than being stranded in the wilderness. Maybe I'll change my mind about that when a grizz has me by the a$$, but that's how I feel for the time being!

Good luck on your hunt. Where are you headed?

FC
FC -- How was the phone there? I am looking to rent one for a Utah hunt in November and see you rented one from mobilerental there? Was it as written on there web site How was the service?

thanks
Paul
Old 09-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Paul,

I just rented one myself it will be here Monday. I ordered it for Tuesday (im leaving Wend) but they sent it to get here a day early to look it over. I called and talked with them and was very impressed. They send me some great information via email so if your interested shoot me your email address and I will sent it to you.

As far as the service I can let you know when I get back around Oct 12th or so.

Don
Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: savetheweb

FC -- How was the phone there? I am looking to rent one for a Utah hunt in November and see you rented one from mobilerental there? Was it as written on there web site How was the service?

thanks
Paul
Paul,

It worked out really slick. I ordered through their web site, & they sent it by FedEx overnight, even though I'd spec'd 2-day. Everything arrived fine in the kit, & there was a return airway bill enclosed that was already filled-out. When I got back, I went to my local FedEx joint, stuck it in a box, & slapped-on their sticker. I never had to talk to the folx.

There was a large instruction manual included, but I just used the starter instructions on the small laminated card they included. Also, you can get incoming text messages for free, sent either from a cell or from the web. When you reply, they nick you $1.50/min., but they send pretty quickly. I used that function to keep my minutes down.

I'll use 'em again!

FC
Old 09-30-2007, 01:04 PM

FC....

Thanks for the helpfull info there that def helped me on decisions for first timer here..

Paul

Quick Reply: Satellite Phone Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.