Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tent question.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tent question.

DRMO...doesn't really exist as it did in the old days. Now Uncle Sam has contracted out to a company...can't remember the name.

Here is the website to use: http://www.govliquidation.com/

All the bidding is done on line. You can still go to the military bases where the stuff is stored to inspect, but, gotta bid on line. The process is fairly smooth. You set up credit card basedaccount, locate things to bid on, then go pick them up. Too easy, in fact. That is why I have about 400 ammo cans in my barn and 28 new mummy bags in my basement.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mentioned the kero heater as well. If you are using one in a tent you CANNOT seal up the tent tight. Adequate ventilation is required. Fresh air from the top and the door left open at the bottom to allow escape for the bad gasses. That applies to any heater that is burning fuel. Also sleeping on a cot two feet off the ground would be a good idea as well.

The army tent I have is Canadian. 2-3 sections can, and I have set it up by myself. There are no center poles, the support is like an A without the horizontal bar. Set one side up and then the other. 2 sections with ends would weigh about 200 lbs, each support about 40(x3 for 2 section). Granted, many hands make light work. In the case of 2 section3 guy's can do it very easily.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM

We use a Davis 20 man wall tent " sleeps 7 with stove and gear we built our own stove some ten plus years ago and its time for a new one to bang around the trail LOL. but you can't beat a good wall tent and you should place a tarp over top as well it helps direct snow and rain from coming in the sides and a real good tarp for the floor helps stop moister from coming up threw the ground. make sure the floor is a bit bigger than the tent so you can cup it up the sides of the tent walls.We are at 10,000 foot and stay in for 15 days or two seasons and we have never had a better tent

Now this hunt was early season and the rocks on the owning serveddual role,help collect cleaning water in the wash bins and two to help hold it down. worked great as a shower to when it rained LOL.

now this was second season and the front awning is in black plastic and is normally framed up to form an entrance room. the black plastic heats up in a hurry when the sun's out and dries the entry way out prit good.

Hear you can see how the outer shell really helps keep the snow back from the walls
\

hear you can see the floor tarp silver side up to reflect heat " make sure you cut out around your stove at least three foot.

LOL the nice thing about a good box stove is when you have a horse wreck and the Colman got trashed you have something to cook on til you pack in the back up cookstove.

Now if your going it alone think simple and practical the more crap in camp the more work you have. Make sure you can set it up your self.