Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Another wall tent question >

Another wall tent question

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another wall tent question

Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another wall tent question

I just bought a new 10X12 canvas wall tent for this moose season and need to put a chimney insert in the roof. Any suggestions on where I should put it? I'm thinking in the middle of the tent near the peak but have also heard that near the door is a good place as well. Just don't want to burn the door flaps if the wind blows them in. There will be two cots in the tent and most other gear stored in the truck or outside.
Anyone with some experience with tent stoves?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another wall tent question

I would not recomend putting the stove jack right at the peak.The problem is the stove pipe will be in the way of the ridge pole and also the stove will be in the middle of the tent to walk around.
I would put it in one of the four corners,but by the door is by far the most popular.
BBJ
Old 08-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Ditto with BareBackJack....

right here in the front left corner by the door...works well...

Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 AM

+2
one a the four corners
i like mine towards the door

early
Old 08-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like by the door is the way to go. Also, alot of guys are recommending a tarp over top. I guess this would only be on tents that don't have a stove?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:48 PM

a lot of people will throw a tarp over the roof and have a hole cut out around the stove pipe. 2'x2' i belive and the idea of the tarp on the roof is to make sure when it rains or snows, you will not get wet! You may also want to look into a tent FLY. Its a simple # of poles and a canvas top and you take 2 or 3 tarps and drop 1 down each side, stake it down and then at the front stake down another tarp cover. Its a good storage place and always a nice area to take off yor muddy or snow covered boots so you dont get for living area dirty and wet. Ebay sells them for around $149+. Just type in canvas wall tent fly. Im sure you will come up with something.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

stove opening by the door about 25% down the side. As far as a tarp--rain fly---I use an old trucker's tarp. The kind that long haul drivers use on flat beds to cover the load. It's kind of rubberized & has plenty of D-rings on it to tie it off with. Cut it to size with about a 2' over hang. Then the remaining tarp I use as a floor cover.

Make sure you use enough stove pipe to get a good draft & also to help get rid of the glowing embers that may fall out onto the roof. CB
Old 08-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

in ourtent the stove is at the back of the tent in the middle with the pipe going out the back wall then 90 up. Makes for more pipe and has to be supported but makes for a nice drying area and allows for alot of sleeping room.

We also tarp over our tent. We use one of them big haybale tarps you can buy from any UFA or farm store. Ours is big enough to allow us to have a covered porch out front to store gear out side and keep dry. I'll post a few pictures once I scan some in

AL
Old 08-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have ours in the middle rear. I also like a tarp over the top, but leave it 10' over the front. We put a fold up picnic table inside the veranda for eating. Hope I get a chnca to put it up this year so I can post pics