Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tent question.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tent question.

DRMO, thats something I haven't heard in quite a few years. I used to go to the one on my base to watch the people who went. I watched some old lady beat the hell out of aGI over a severe weather parka. It looked like a bunch of vultures on a rotting carcass. It is correct though, you can get good deals at these sales, just watch out for the old lady with a jacket in her hand. ;0)
Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

bugs11, Sorry for the delay in getting back to ya.

We like the big army tent. We use a wood stove in it for heat and drying out the rigging. We tarp the floor to help keep the condensation down. We are always warm because my brother has a bladder the size of a peanut and is always up through the night stoking the stove.
As for lighting, there are window flaps on ours. The green peice is rolled up then there is a clear plastic, then the screen. Plenty of light during the day if you are there, but we're always gone hunting....Lot's of room to stand up as the side walls are about 5'5" and the peak about 10'.With cots on either side there is about a 5' path down through the center. You got to keep a grip on the guy's though. If it doesn't fit under your cot it belongs at home.

I like the prospector wall tent for a kitchen tent as the canvas drys quickly with the kerosene heater we use in it.

Believe it or not, the big army tent can be set up by one person easier than the wall tent.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much do the tents weigh? I know the 16' x 32' army tent would NOT be put up by one man, because one man could not lift the dang thing by himself. That thing isbulky and HEAVY!

On a side note. My wife and I went camping this weekend in the mtns. I have a 4 man dome tent with vestibule. I just bought the small Mr. heater and that thing heated my 4 man tent in about 5 minutes, and I'd guess the night temps. were between 40 and 45 degrees. I only used it in the mornings to knock the chill off so that getting out of the sleeping bag was easier,......... for my wife!She is cold blooded.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 AM

Howler,
no doubt that they are heavy, and surely not a one man tent. They would be managable with say 4-5 guys. Not sur ehow many you usually hunt with.
Now for one tha tyou can do yourself, there is a more or less round one. It has a nice tall center poles, and then you put up poles arount the edge. I have slept 6-8 guys in there with cots at Ft Riley about 12 years ago. it also has a stove pipe vent in the roof for a heater and it is big enoug to stand in. Wouldn't be the easiest to set up by yourself, but doable. And if you hunt with 1-2 other guys/gals, it really would be no problem.
Of, course too, there are a ton of civilian tents out there that are simple to put up, but maybe not as tall, or have heater vent. I guess you just have to prioritize what you want from it.

Hope this offers some help, at least to somebody that wants a BIG tent, but not theNew Tent Price.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Hey, thanks everyone for the info. Whoever mentioned the kerosene heater reminded me that I have a kerosene heater; got it from my wife’s family farm when they cleaned the place out. I’ve used it in the garage in the winter, when it’s really cold (below zero) and I’m skinning a deer. My 2 car garage is insulated so it generally doesn’t get below freezing, no matter how cold it gets outside. So I think I might take the kerosene heater for heat, rather than fork out the dough for a Buddy heater. Anyone use a kerosene heater in a tent? Is it too smelly?

As for the tent, looks like the biggest Cabelas Westwind (12’x14’, $280) with a vestibule fits the bill. I could use this tent when camping with the family too, if needed. I’ll definitely set up where I can get a tarp hung over the tent. And being on a certified FFI, I know how to tie knots. It’s amazing how many people don’t know how to tie a clove hitch or bowline.

As for sleeping pads, last year I picked up an air mattress (from Big Agnes I think) that has insulation in the air chambers and a cheap self inflating sleeping pad from Wal-Mart. I wrapped the self inflating sleeping pad in an old blanket and put the insulated air mattress on that. I had to wrap the self inflating sleeping pad in a something as the air mattress and sleeping pad kept slipping around. The blanket provided enough bite between the two, so they were stable. I didn’t get cold at all with this arrangement. The air mattress is way comfy; I used it during this summers vacation and slept like a baby.

Looks like a run to the nearest Cabelas is in order. Need to get a cot too. Cabelas Army or the Alaskan Guide cot? The Alaskan Guide cot is bigger, but weighs more. Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 AM

The experience I've had with Kerosene heaters is not favorable in your situation. Generally they really stink up a place, and I get a headache after awhile from them. So that tells me something is wrong. I would be concerned that your hunting clothes would reek of kerosene. At least with wood smoke its natural.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:14 AM

Shato,

Yeah, I've googled up some info. on kerosene used in hunting tents and it doesn't seem to be a prefered method of warming a tent. So... back to getting a Reddy Heater and toting a couple 10 lbs. propane tanks.

Bugs
Old 08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

I've used the fuel oil/kesosene thing and if my wife hadn't woken up we may have all died.
I highly recommend against it. We did make an error, but still. I recommend against it.
Stinky oily PITA!

What ever you do, don't get a Buddy Heater.... totally unreliable at altitude.
A Mr. Heater single burner will chase you right out of there and don't forget the Carbon Monoxide alarm.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Spike

Kerosene would smell up all of your gear stored in the tent clothes etc. wich would decrease your odds for hunting . A wall tent or something similar is the only way to go IMO . The main problem with propane or other liquide gasses are that they produce thier own condensate when burned adding to problems sometimes when you need to drie off clothes or warm up ! I have a 15 by 21 walltent that me and the in laws take hunting in october and the wood burner puts off a nice effective dry heat for heating the bones and drying clothes even in the harshest conditions! There are all kinds of sizes of wall tents that fit all kinds of budgets . I have spent more on tents and propane heating devices then I have on my walltent.Just my 2 cents but I will never agin spend money on a normall tent for hunting ever agin.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 AM

I might have mentioned it (kereosene) , and sorry I am not looking back to see if I did, I know that we have used them in the Army. What we did do though was hang the kerosene can outside the tent ad run the small fuel line into the stove to keep that smell out. Then with the stovepipe out the tot, it wasn't an issue.

Quick Reply: Tent question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.