Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

canada gun permits

Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default canada gun permits

Does anyone have the web site where I can get specific questions answered about use of firearms in Canada? I am looking at doing a bear hunt & the outfitter has offered to let me use his rifle to avoid the need to transport into Canada. Will I need a permit to use his gun & would it be a hassle to bring the bear back w/o a firearm permit?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: canada gun permits

Try this one and follow the links:
http://www.huntingreport.com/temp_Gun_Import_Procedures_For_Canada.cfm
Old 08-09-2007, 02:44 PM

I'm not sure on the website with the regs. I do have a site where you can down load the forms you need to taking a gun in ( i'll pm that to you ) its off an outfitters site..so don't want to bend the rules and link it through here.

Ok couple of items for you to keep in mind.

1) unless you fill out the paper work for the rifle your outfitter is going to allow you to use, YOU CAN NOT have a firearm in canada. not only are you registering the firearm, but it is your lic to carry a firearm.

2) you possibly will be questioned on your return trip back into the states, where the weapon is you used to harvest the bear.

3) going back to item in one, if your checked by a game warden and your holding that rifle and you don't have your paper work. you, the guide and the outfitter could be in some hot water.

now the odds of having a game warden check you in the back country, slim. in 3 trips up to canada, we've only had the game wardens stop in camp once ( and that was in camp, not out in the stands or while fishing )

but the cost is around 35.00 bucks to register your rifle.
you go into customs, pick up your rifle, stand in line and present your paper work/ passport,gun paper work and pay the fees. they will give you a stamped copie of yourrifle paper work and a receipt and that will be what you carry with your hunting lic to be legal.

good luck on your trip.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

If you are driving in it is no big deal bringing a firearm into Canada.

!!!!!!!!NO HANDGUNS!!!!!!!! They are banned, even for residents.(with very limited exclusions)

Make sure the bolt is removed, or the action open to show that the chamber is clear.

Download and fill out the Government form, don't sign it until you are in front of a Canadian Customs Officer.

The cost is $25.00, Canadian. I know this covers 2 guns, not sure about more.

We went to Manitoba in June and nobody even looked in the cases. Unless you are flying, then you better do your homeworkbut I am sure it is the same procedure.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 08-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kansaswiderack

Does anyone have the web site where I can get specific questions answered about use of firearms in Canada? I am looking at doing a bear hunt & the outfitter has offered to let me use his rifle to avoid the need to transport into Canada. Will I need a permit to use his gun & would it be a hassle to bring the bear back w/o a firearm permit?

Here's a link to the Canadian Firearms web site. It's not a big deal to bring a gun or guns into Canada. If you use that outfitters gun...it's illegal. Both him and you could be in serious trouble and he knows that. I can't believe an outfitter would tempt fate that way. Maybe you should check his references.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp