Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

montana archery elk

Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM

Default montana archery elk

Has anyone archery hunted any of the following units: 411, 447, 455, 702, 704, or 705? I have a 700-20 tag but am beginning to get scared off by the number of people I hear will be there. I was hoping one of these general units will have less people on the public land and be a more enjoyable hunt. Any info on them would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: montana archery elk

PM hillbilly hunter,he had one there a couple years ago for Jordan area.
BBJ
Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: montana archery elk

there will be people in 700, you can believe that. But, there will also be elk. Lots of elk, including some absolute monsters. You are going to find lots of people mostly along the river and the lake. Why? Because that's where most of the elk are....the ones that are easy to find anyway.

However, 700 is so huge, you can easily find places with few or no hunters that aren't along the water where there maybe elk. Some of these places might be treacherous (for walking, hunting, packing out purposes) enough that you better pack a skillet and eat the elk where you skin him at. Other places won't be and will be great looking prairie/agircultural/"breaks" looking areas. Elk along the river/lake will be easy enough tofind but extremely difficult to "get on" for several reasons (mainly pressure from other "idiot" hunters). Away from the lake it will be sort of the opposite. Elk will be hard to find and you will have to put ina lot morehiking/spotting/gaining local knowledge (but this is elk hunting afterall), but once you find them, they should be easier (not that easy of course) to "hunt". You can pm me if you want and I willgive you some more detail.

good luck.