Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wyoming Antelope - unit 26 >

Wyoming Antelope - unit 26

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope - unit 26

Old 07-14-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Wyoming Antelope - unit 26

Hi there, Does anyone have any ideas for hunting unit 26 and 28 for antelope. Places to stay or camp, best place to hunt, Any ideas would be help ful. Myself and my brother in law are going to try our hand at it this fall. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming Antelope - unit 26

Wyoming is supposed to be a great place to hunt pronghorns, hope you get plenty of good info, there's some good Wyo hunters on here.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 AM

Which area did you draw?
You planning on an over the counter tag?

Moving on . . . Are you aware of public lands in those areas? For instance, you can legally hunt on BLM (yellow), state (blue), and green (USFS - Nat'l Forest). Go to:
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/access/plpw/huntingwalk/converse/converse2.asp
You'll see the different colored areas. The white areas are private lands. This is part of a link in the G&F site that describes Walk-In areas. Private lands that owners allow public hunting on.
Also, try contacting the Douglas Chamber of commerse because I know they used to, and still may, provide a pamphlet that lists local land oners that allow hunting on their property. They may charge a "trespassing fee" or nothing at all. Antelope are so prevelant that you may be able to drive up to the first farm house you see and get permission. Landowners get money back From the G&F for each animal taken on their property. ($13.00 for lopes).
Contact the G&F and find out the local game warden. Joe somebody. He might be helpful in locating prime areas for trophy's and/or landowners.
As far as camping, you can camp in any BLM property and USFS, but not in state lands. They don't allow camping. Staying in Douglas at a camp ground would be close enough to your hunt area(s) too. Antelope are out there all day, so crack of dawn/sit 'till dusk white tail tactics are of no significant benefit.

Best advice; practice long range shooting. Zero in at 200 yards and practice out to 400. What are you shooting?
Sounds unbelievable I know, but it is a key part of hunting the praroes for lopes. You need to know your ballistics and windage for your round. A good range finder is critical to long range ethical success. Bring comfortable shoes. I use a shoe much like a tennis shoe. You can put on some miles chasing them.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 PM

we have drawn area 26 and that is also good for area 28.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Thanks game4lunch, alot of great information. I just learned about the lope staying out all day. I am using 30-06. All the help is appreciated!
Old 07-21-2007, 07:21 AM

Anytime sportster. Lopes certainly bring hunting challenges that most people never think of. On one hand, they look easy to take 'cause they're standing right next to the highway. Until you stop the truck and get out!
I've guided many antelope hunts and I got to tell you, the best advice I can give is to set up your rifle to zero at 200and practice shots up to 400. Milk jugs, metal plates, or as I like, balloons on a board are great targets. And anytime you shoot those ranges, you need to have good optics like an 800 yard range finder or better. Believe it or not, a lopes vitalsat 387 yards through the 9 power on your scope can still be covered up by the reticle.

Keep in mind the Type 6 licenses. (if there are any)These are leftover tags for doe/fawn antelope. I believe you can get two. That would be three lopes all together. The G&F issued 500 type 6 for area 26 and 300 for area 28 so there should be some left. They are sold at local sporting goods stores, propbably in Douglas.

Enjoy the hunt. Don't shoot the first one you see. And take care of the meat. And let us know how it goes.