Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

.7mm Mag. Ammo

Old 07-13-2007, 07:36 AM

Default .7mm Mag. Ammo

Has anyone used the PMC Barnes X-Bullet in 140gr. or 160gr. in .7mm Rem?
How does this ammo perform?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .7mm Mag. Ammo

One of the guys I work with uses the barnes X- bullett in I think 160 gr not totally sure. But any ways he has had good luck with them in his browning. He has shot a few bear, 1 moose and a couple of deer although I dont think they are made for light skinned animals like deer. They do a number on the larger game ripping through bone and muscle easily while supposedly having 100% weight retention.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, StillHunter90. I've had good luck with Winchester Supreme Fail Safe's in my .280 rem. and .300 win.mag.. I'm always up for trying other factory loads. I have a box of .7mmNitrex 145gr Grand Slams that I still need to shoot, I'll look for the PMC's at the local range and see how they compare.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Spike

Have not used PMC, butdo use Federal. Check this link:

http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?pg=46

Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 PM

I've used Federal in a lot of applications and had good results. I'm not sure if the Federal Barnes TSX is the same bullet as the Barnes X-Bullet.
I've used PMC in some of my handguns for practice without jam or misfire.
I thought I would give the PMC/Barnes a shot and see how they perform.
Itwon't hurt to checkthem out anyway.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sniperone

I've used Federal in a lot of applications and had good results. I'm not sure if the Federal Barnes TSX is the same bullet as the Barnes X-Bullet.
I've used PMC in some of my handguns for practice without jam or misfire.
I thought I would give the PMC/Barnes a shot and see how they perform.
Itwon't hurt to checkthem out anyway.
The PMC offering is the original X bullet, while the Federal offering TSX is a newer offering by barneswhich many, including myself, feel is an upgrade from the original X-bullet. Reason why??? Less copper fouling with the TSX, faster velocity with a naked bullet and accuracy. I never used the x-bullet on anything other then paper but reports from the field are the TSX is more relaible in terms of expansion and would channel results, the x bullet has a reputation penciling thru. I have used the TSX and its performance has been top notch on elk and moose. The TSX carries the sameweight retention as the original x bullet so I can't see any negatives to choosing the TSX over the X- bullet.

BTW I handload 140gr TSX BT for my 7mm rem mag for elk and moose, thus only one bullet recovered from a bull moose which retained over 90% of mass and expanded over double orginal diameter (.714 if i remember correctly).The other 3 were clean pass thru which showed great wound channels and resulted in animals being down in very quick order. All single shot harvests.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the insight "skeeter 7mm". I've had this 7mag for a few years and never took it hunting. I'm taking it with me as my primary weapon for a mule deer hunt in November. My hunting buddy uses the .7mm mag on all his hunts from whitetail to Elk with good results, he uses Federal Premium.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 PM

I started using them a couple of years ago and they are an awesome bullet. Ive taken Mule deer and Elk with them and this fall I will take a bear (hopefully). They do quite a number on the animals. The expansion and wieght retention is amazing and scary. Good luck!