Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DIY Cow elk Hunt

Old 06-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Cow elk Hunt

Hmmmm....... I would think it would be like deer hunting, antlerless deer are easier to shoot.

As for cow draw tags, the draws and applications for this year are over.

Maybe some other state has OTC, but I don't know for certain anything about those.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Hmmmm....... I would think it would be like deer hunting, antlerless deer are easier to shoot.

Maybe some other state has OTC, but I don't know for certain anything about those.
Hummm.... I've never heard anyone who has hunted Elk (Bulls or Cows) call any part of Elk hunting "easy". After the rut and cows and younger and bulls are herded up "the Lead Cow" is the one they all fall in behind. She's likely the most experienced, dominant cow, whose main role is to keep the herd safe and lead them wherever they go to feed, water, safety.
She and the hundreds of noses, ears, eyes and instinct, along with the often very rugged land they live in are just a few of the many obstacles you're up against and need to overcometo successfully kill a cow Elk.

And if you are skilled, were willing to put the time/effort into preparing the previous year to get in the shape you need to be in,then youwill be able to put inthe miles of hiking up and down the mountain ridges and draws each day, staying down wind and undetected, glassing, watching and listening. If you do all this, you just might get closeenough to a cowhear the "chirp" of they and the calves talking within the herd make. And if you are skilled to make that final stalk to get close enoughand fortunateenough for the chance to shoot an Elk, that's when the hard work really begins.
There is nothing "easy" about hunting cowElk, just as there is not with hunting bulls.
But as a fellow we met last Nov. in Wyoming put it, "it's the 'good' kind of hard work." You feel really good about it when you've succefully lived through it and gotten an Elk and gotten you and the Elk of the mountains.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks guys seemed to get off topic but looks like Colorado is where I think I will look for best place for Pops and me this season and be ableto get OTC tags for us..

Old 06-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Hummm.... I've never heard anyone who has hunted Elk (Bulls or Cows) call any part of Elk hunting "easy". After the rut and cows and younger and bulls are herded up "the Lead Cow" is the one they all fall in behind. She's likely the most experienced, dominant cow, whose main role is to keep the herd safe and lead them wherever they go to feed, water, safety.
She and the hundreds of noses, ears, eyes and instinct, along with the often very rugged land they live in are just a few of the many obstacles you're up against and need to overcometo successfully kill a cow Elk.

And if you are skilled, were willing to put the time/effort into preparing the previous year to get in the shape you need to be in,then youwill be able to put inthe miles of hiking up and down the mountain ridges and draws each day, staying down wind and undetected, glassing, watching and listening. If you do all this, you just might get closeenough to a cowhear the "chirp" of they and the calves talking within the herd make. And if you are skilled to make that final stalk to get close enoughand fortunateenough for the chance to shoot an Elk, that's when the hard work really begins.
There is nothing "easy" about hunting cowElk, just as there is not with hunting bulls.
But as a fellow we met last Nov. in Wyoming put it, "it's the 'good' kind of hard work." You feel really good about it when you've succefully lived through it and gotten an Elk and gotten you and the Elk of the mountains.

When I said "Easier to shoot", I meant, easier to get permission to shoot, i.e., easier to get a tag, or a bigger limit on antlerless cervids.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Your best bet to get a quality unit to hunt in would be to check out the leftover licenses on the DOW web sight around July 18th. Start now by calling some of the area offices Denver,Meeker, Durango etc. and ask questions.Be in shape...........NO BS!! and........ Know how you are going to get animal out of the woods if you should be successful!!!! These are NOT deer!

GLOB!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: savetheweb

Thanks guys seemed to get off topic but looks like Colorado is where I think I will look for best place for Pops and me this season and be ableto get OTC tags for us..

Glad to hear that, and remember, it was my idea.j/k
Old 06-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Let me cross some "T's" and dot some "i's".

1st of all, if you have never hunted "the west" for elk or anything else, I do not recommend a DIY hunt. Altitude, unfamiliarity of area, dramatic weather changes, vast expanse of hunting ground, long range shooting
. . . each and all can make for a miserable, unsuccessful,and expensive hunting experience. Get someone to go with you who has done it before. Or, hire a "DIY" outfitter, or . . . get with somebody at the hunt area to help you. Don't end up another stat.

2nd . . . Wyoming has a "Leftover License Draw"from July 10-20th. These are elk (deer, antelope) licenses that were NOT drawn in the first draw(s). You can see the list on-line and make application after July 10th because that is the date the resident draws are announced. They are a bit pricey: $481.00, but you would know if you drew (guaranteed a license) around July 31st (tentative drawing date). Capice?!

The Wyoming G&F link to that page is:
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/formsapps/BGNonresident/index.asp

I'm in S.E. Wyoming and am very familiar with hunting in this corner of the state if I can be of any assistance.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

lookin for a great cow elk hunt eh? wait til the wyoming left over license drawing in a few weeks. yearly there are a few hundred left over cow tags for area 38 in north central wyomings bighorn mountains. probably not many better areas anywhere, lots and lots of elk. beautiful place too.

that would be my first cow elk hunt choice for sure!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM

huntnmuleys,

You got the dates and cost for the WY cow hunt handy? (I could look it up on the 'net, but if you got the info. right there at your finger tips...)

I be planning another solo foray into the Flattops using one of the CO OTC 2nd rifle cow tags, but I could be swayed to hunt WY instead.

Thanks for the info.

Bugs
Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 PM

bugs,
the season opens on the 15th of oct. runs 3 weeks. cost is $481.00, it is a very good chance you would fill some tags. lots of elk!

Quick Reply: DIY Cow elk Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.