HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY Cow elk Hunt
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 02:44 AM
younggun308
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Cow elk Hunt

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Hmmmm....... I would think it would be like deer hunting, antlerless deer are easier to shoot.

As for cow draw tags, the draws and applications for this year are over.

Maybe some other state has OTC, but I don't know for certain anything about those.
Hummm.... I've never heard anyone who has hunted Elk (Bulls or Cows) call any part of Elk hunting "easy". After the rut and cows and younger and bulls are herded up "the Lead Cow" is the one they all fall in behind. She's likely the most experienced, dominant cow, whose main role is to keep the herd safe and lead them wherever they go to feed, water, safety.
She and the hundreds of noses, ears, eyes and instinct, along with the often very rugged land they live in are just a few of the many obstacles you're up against and need to overcometo successfully kill a cow Elk.

And if you are skilled, were willing to put the time/effort into preparing the previous year to get in the shape you need to be in,then youwill be able to put inthe miles of hiking up and down the mountain ridges and draws each day, staying down wind and undetected, glassing, watching and listening. If you do all this, you just might get closeenough to a cowhear the "chirp" of they and the calves talking within the herd make. And if you are skilled to make that final stalk to get close enoughand fortunateenough for the chance to shoot an Elk, that's when the hard work really begins.
There is nothing "easy" about hunting cowElk, just as there is not with hunting bulls.
But as a fellow we met last Nov. in Wyoming put it, "it's the 'good' kind of hard work." You feel really good about it when you've succefully lived through it and gotten an Elk and gotten you and the Elk of the mountains.

When I said "Easier to shoot", I meant, easier to get permission to shoot, i.e., easier to get a tag, or a bigger limit on antlerless cervids.